Drilling or woodworking requires concentration and precision. Sometimes carving on the wood requires a delicate driller, and sometimes brute force is necessary. Whatever the case, one needs a duality drill machine for the jobs at hand. If you are not sure where to look for the best benchtop drill press, this article can be the perfect resource for you to start your research.
Read through my short reviews of top benchtop drill press machines and choose the ideal one for yourselves.
Table of Contents
- Best Bench Top Drill Press – Comparison
- Best Bench Top Drill Press – Reviews
- 1. WEN 4214 12-Inch Benchtop Drill Press
- 2. DEWALT DWE1622K 2-Speed Magnetic Drill Press
- 3. SKIL 3320-01 3.2 Amp 10-Inch Drill Press
- 4. Delta 18-900L 18-Inch Laser Drill Press
- 5. JET 354165 JDP- 15M 3/4 –HP Bench Drill Press
- 6. Craftsman 12 in. Drill Press
- 7. Shop Fox W1668 3/4 –HP Bench-Top Drill Press
- 8. Grizzly G7945 5 Speed Bench-Top Redial Drill Press
- 9. SE-Drill-Mini Bench, 3 Speed Motor, 110w
- 10. JET J-2530 15-Inch 3/4-Horspower 115-Volt Bench Model Drill Press
- How to Buy the Best Bench Top Drill Press?
- Final Verdict:
Best Bench Top Drill Press – Comparison
|WEN 4214 12-Inch Benchtop Drill Press|
|DEWALT DWE1622K 2-Speed Magnetic Drill Press|
|SKIL 3320-01 3.2 Amp 10-Inch Drill Press|
Best Bench Top Drill Press – Reviews
1. WEN 4214 12-Inch Benchtop Drill Press
When you discuss Best Benchtop Drill Press candidates for 2021 and beyond, WEN 4214 has got to make the list. This thing might cost you less than some of the more popular brands, it is certainly no pushover when it comes to performance and longevity.
You can expect a good amount of power through the 2/3 HP motor that it carries. You can do a whole lot of things with it. Be it wood polishing, drilling, metal sheet drilling or even drilling holes into the hard plastic, WEN 4214 means business!
The lowest range of speed I could get to with this is 580 RPM. Now that surely isn’t too slow. But I could drill through ½-inch metal sheet quite easily. The highest speed this one manages to achieve is 3200 RPM. Again, this is better than what most benchtop drill presses offer.
You can drill some pretty deep holes with WEN 4214 thanks to the spindle. The spindle length is 3-1/8” that allows you to do your in-house woodworking DIY projects comfortably.
When it comes to the worktable?
It measures up to be 9-1/2”X9-1/2”. This is ample space on the table to tackle any task without worrying for comfort if you ask me. Plus, it can tilt 45 degrees to the left and right. It makes for some comfort and interesting angles while you are going about your drilling task.
- 2/3 HP Motor is a big boost when it comes to power.
- This thing is eligible for woodworking, metal sheet, and hard plastic drilling.
- The speed ranges are quite handy.
- The table is spacious and grants you stability while you work.
- There is a digital meter that gives you an indication of your speed level.
- You get a work light too which supports you in dim conditions.
- This is not meant for commercial drilling.
2. DEWALT DWE1622K 2-Speed Magnetic Drill Press
We are discussing drill presses, BEST benchtop drill presses and Dewalt isn’t on the list? Let me correct that right away. Here’s Dewalt DWE1622K on my list!
This one has an amazing 10 AMP motor that delivers when it comes to top-notch performance. This one is easy to use and you have 2-speed settings to make your work easier.
If you have power outages or overflow of voltage, you don’t need to worry. DEWALT DWE1622K comes with “Protection for sudden voltage overflow.” This guarantees protection for the motor and additional accessories that come with the package.
I quite liked the ¾” Weldon Shank that comes with it. There is a ½” “Keyed Chuck” also. You can interchange between the two for various applications. There is a “Quick Release” button that helps you get on with the change. You won’t need any tools.
When you drill for hours, the drill press gets hotter and hotter by the minute. As a result, you might need to stop and start the machine in between projects to cool it off. Well, not with DEWALT! It features a magnetic cooling tank with fluid that cools the tool without halting the procedure.
The spindle travels 4 inches. Now you can drill deep holes penetrating thick wood, hard plastic, and any other thing without any problems.
- It has a magnetic cooling system with fluid that keeps it operational.
- 4-inch spindle travel allows you to drill deep holes in wood or metal
- It is a mid-range drill press with awesome construction.
- This magnetic drill is easy to handle and comes with a case to protect itself.
- The chuck changing system is a bit of a drag to work with.
3. SKIL 3320-01 3.2 Amp 10-Inch Drill Press
I like SKIL 3320-01 Benchtop Drill Press for various reasons. First of all, it is compact and fits into my medium-sized workplace. Also, it has a durable construction that houses everything together.
The cast iron drill press doesn’t feel cheap at all. I could assemble the spindle and the chuck without much of a fuss. It has been working great ever since!
½-inch keyed chuck takes in most of the drill bits you come across. Thanks to this, you can drill round or square holes and even polish wood or metal if the need persists.
Then you have 5 different levels of speed that you can use. The lowest speed is 570 RPM and the highest here is 3050 RPM. It can be one of the top woodworking drill presses. But since the lowest speed is 570 RPM, drilling metal would be challenging without generating heat.
When you are drilling holes, accuracy matters. That is why you need a system that will guide the spindle properly. SKIL 3320-01 features two lasers that guide the spindle. It will allow your spindle to drill in the perfect position aligning with the hole. Plus, you have the “In-depth Adjustment System” which allows you to drill within the same spot repeatedly and perfectly.
Did I mention you can tilt the table to your liking? Yes, you can tilt it up to 45-degree angle towards the left of and the right side. Thanks to this, you can do fine tuning on the holes you drill with this machine. Some drill bits allow you to polish the holes as well.
- The 3.2 AMP motor and 10-inch swing help you to go through thick material and drill deep.
- The laser guides you perfectly and results in accurate drilling every time.
- The drill bed or table tilts to both sides to give you comfort and better angle when drilling.
- You have your own worktable light when the surrounding has little or no light assistance.
- 5 levels of speed make it a worthwhile purchase you can use for various purposes.
- Be careful about the batteries these lasers use; they die quickly.
4. Delta 18-900L 18-Inch Laser Drill Press
As a parting gift, let me give you Delta 18-900L 18-inch Laser Drill Press. This mid-range drill machine is a workhorse and deserves a place on my list of Top Benchtop Drill Presses this year.
A slim drilling tool that leaves a lot of space in your workshop for other tools is always welcome, right? If you have bucks to spare, you could get this awesome tool performance-wise.
That doesn’t mean you get to compromise on build quality. No sir! You have cast iron framework that helps keep this beast steady while you take care of business. You can count on it to serve you for years to come.
16 different speed levels, can you imagine? My days of buying separate drill machine for woodwork and metal drilling are officially over! I can do both with this thing. Furthermore, you can change the speed levels by turning a knob. How cool is that?
Not only does it manage to dig deep, you can measure the holes with what they call a “Depth Scale.” Also, to make sure you are drilling accurately, a bright laser crosshair is in place. You can easily spot it even in bright light.
The main reason you can drill deep is the quill stroke. It goes six inches deep. Also, you have the all-important and vital “Auto Tension Adjustment” belt. It adjusts tension and pressure according to the material you are drilling.
- 16 levels of speed will make you a fan of this model for your drilling needs.
- You can do so many things with it (e.g. woodworking, metal, and plastic drilling).
- Auto Tension Belt regulates the power based on what you are drilling and how thick the object is.
- The worktable tilts up to 48 degrees to facilitate greater control.
- Quill stroke of six inches allows you to drill deep.
- It costs you a bit of extra money than the others.
5. JET 354165 JDP- 15M 3/4 –HP Bench Drill Press
This JET 354165 machine will fulfill your need incredibly by providing you the versatility of the JDP-15M 15” bench mounted drill press.
This super drill press is known for tackling small home improvement jobs and full-time projects. Its quick-release and crank-operated worktable height adjustment features help you in drilling quickly and efficiently.
The machine has 16-speed modes. So, you can be delicate and forceful whenever the job requires for you to be. It is designed to be both user-friendly and long-lasting. It expands the scale of the worker’s capability.
- JET 354165 is a stable drill press to work with and you can move it around when needed.
- This thing is medium in size and gives you ample space to work your magic with the worktable.
- 16 speed levels give you the edge with the lowest being 200 rpm only!
- There is a light on board for dimly lit or dark situations.
- To my experience, Jet 354165 JDP is accurate enough for my needs.
- You can adjust the spindle to suit your drilling preferences.
- People might find this 3.3-feet drill press a bit taller than usual.
- You might come across some vibrations while working with this benchtop drilling machine.
6. Craftsman 12 in. Drill Press
Craftsman 12-Inch Drill Press comes at number 2 on our list. By virtue of a swivel knob, you can turn it in the direction you like for drilling without any fuss. And the catch is that you get adjustable LED. This flexible LED improves the visibility. In this case, working can be safer and more suitable for people.
Not only that, this machine provides you rack and pinion for measuring accurate height adjustments and adjustable fence with a stop for repetitive work.
Just be careful, set it up correctly, and tighten the screws. Then start working and get amazed by its quiet and smooth performance. It works perfectly for a variety of drilling projects.
- This thing is amazingly quiet and smooth to operate.
- I liked the Chuck as it seemed solid and well-made.Overall, it is a sturdy drill press and doesn’t come with cracks or broken parts.
- It has an extremely efficient laser which ensures accuracy while drilling.
- You have 12 speeds to play with; switch in between them easily with a knob.
- Perfect drill press for beginners.
- Only suitable for home projects and small drilling assignments.
- Adjusting to different speed levels can be troubling.
7. Shop Fox W1668 3/4 –HP Bench-Top Drill Press
With all the top-notch advantages available, this Shop Fox W1668 3/4 drill press is a perfect one with tilting table for a variety of applications. You can tilt the table both the right and left side by 90-degrees when drilling.
It is also adjustable to the workplace and can accommodate the workpiece height and achieve particular drilling angles. The most impressive fact is that it can be used for efficient contour sanding. This 12-speed drill machine doubles as an oscillating sander in terms of accuracy in work.
With its’ 3/4 –inch drilling capacity, it is possible for the worker to tackle most drilling job. It can be used in any place like small hobby shops to professional machine shops.
- One of the rare drill presses that puts accuracy, performance, and speed.
- I had fun using 12 speed levels that it has for different tasks.
- A good drill machine to have for woodworking.
- The table is wider than normal.
- You can drill thin metal sheets with Shop Fox W1668.
- Price might be the issue for some people; it is on the higher side of things.
8. Grizzly G7945 5 Speed Bench-Top Redial Drill Press
As we move to the number 4 position on our list, there is Grizzly G7945 Bench Top Drilling Machine.
This is a 5-speed bench-top radial drill press. This machine can work at just about any angle with its pivoting heads for drilling. It provides 160-Inch drill chuck. You can swing it to a maximum 34-inch during drilling.
Normally, drilling is not an easy task, neither any safer one. But in case of Grizzly G7945, drilling is fun.
This machine takes care of your sanding needs. It can be converted from a drill machine to a sander in moments. It fits the bill of a beginner driller to a professional one working on substantial projects.
- Offers 5 speeds for you to work with.
- This thing is perfect for small to medium workstations.
- When I compared this to a handheld drill machine, the ½ HP motor performed better.
- This thing has a shaft that you can use as an axis to assemble the whole thing.
- It requires a bit more space than usual to function properly.
9. SE-Drill-Mini Bench, 3 Speed Motor, 110w
In spite of being a mini drill press, this one seems well assembled and robust. You can run it pretty quietly. It provides 3 speeds, 8500/6500/5000 RMP.
Well, these different speeds allow you maintain and perform your job, according to your need. This SE-Drill-Mini Bench drill press is very much appropriate for the wood-works and do-it-yourself type jobs at home. You can keep the speed adjustable by turning a knob and it goes “Slow to Fast” according to the direction.
The drill machine performs correctly if you can handle and tackle it carefully. This mini-driller machine can be a suitable instrument in the toolbox of your home if you are a regular driller at home. This will not disappoint the worker.
- This thing is Lightweight; fits into a small space too.
- To my surprise, this mini drill machine has 3 speeds and you can switch through them easily.
- It uses steel in the making; you can expect this to stay usable for a long time.
- You will be amazed to see how low the power consumption of this machine is!
- er consumption of this machine is!
- Comes at an affordable price for people.
- Not suitable for heavy-duty drilling jobs or moderate projects.
10. JET J-2530 15-Inch 3/4-Horspower 115-Volt Bench Model Drill Press
If you are interested in a workhorse for the long run, let me pitch you JET J-2530 Benchtop drill press on my “Best Benchtop Drill Press” list at this point. This baby has a ¾ HP motor to supply the power and it runs on 115V electricity.
If we dive deeper into this, the spindle features a large quill. The quill stroke lets your spindle travel deep and lets you carve a deep hole as well. Don’t worry, the spindle is permanently lubricated. You should find it easy to assemble as well.
The cast iron head swivels to provide a better finish. The chuck has a 5/8-inch diameter. This allows you to fit in most drill bits quite easily.
The thing I like about JET J-2530 is the speed it provides. There are 16 levels of speed. The lowest and highest being 200 and 3630 respectively. I could switch through these speeds without any problems. While at top speed it doesn’t wobble or vibrate. The reason is the strong column to the ground which supports this drill press and the work table.
People can even tilt the worktable up to 45-degree angle on left and right sides. This should make carving and drilling easier than ever. One thing to remember, this drill press doesn’t come with a light. So, you won’t be able to drill holes when it is too dark.
- 16 speeds are really helpful when it comes to drilling through different objects.
- Quill stroke is deep and it permits you to drill deeper holes.
- 200 RPM drilling speed facilitates metal drilling without generating heat.
- The column supports your drill press and the table well.
- It doesn’t come with any work light to facilitate drilling in dimly lit environment.
How to Buy the Best Bench Top Drill Press?
You must be thinking how did I choose these drill machines, right? I mean, these are all random. How can you buy a Benchtop Drill Press that is best for you out of many options? Well, these are not so random. I’ve researched on few criteria or factors and selected ones that best complement these factors. So, let us get to know the factors better in this segment.
Buy Ones that have Spacious Worktables
Best benchtop drill press choice of yours will have to have many traits. Having a spacious worktable is one of them. When you have more room to work with on the table, you can position the wood, hard plastic or metal object conveniently before you drill. This gives you the best possible result.
Make sure that you can adjust the worktable to your advantage. This feature helps when you are drilling holes for a commercial project or polishing the thing.
How Much Does the Worktable Tilt?
You might not realize it but tilting makes a massive difference in how you do your job. You’ll find these machines with worktables that tilt to various degrees and angles. Standard ones tilt to 45 degrees. The “High End” ones tilt to 90 degrees or more.
The more a table tilts, the better. You’ll find a personalized angle where you can work with comfort. The comfort matters even more if you are into woodworking or metal drilling. The tilt also grants you precision and finesse too!
Design Plays a Massive Part
The overall design and the footprint of your benchtop drill press matters a great deal. You don’t want your machine to occupy too much room when your workplace is small or medium in size. A tool with a slim look and small footprint matters a great deal. The design should make the device easy to operate. The top benchtop drill presses like Delta 18-900L or DEWALT DWE1622K have small footprints and are pretty easy to get your head around.
Are You Able to Control the Speed Levels?
Hey, best benchtop drill presses need not be very speedy or have a lot of speed levels to work with (Although, if they have, that is a bonus) but they need to have a control mechanism in place. My list features machines that have 2 – 16 levels of speed and you can cycle through these levels with the turn of a knob. Controlling speed is vital when you are drilling a delicate piece of furniture, a metal sheet, or woodworking.
Does Your Machine Cool Off Quickly?
Benchtop drills can heat up quickly thanks to the speed levels and the cast iron construction. Cast iron retains the heat too. That might come in the way of various tasks you are hoping to accomplish. Your chosen device should be sound. It should be able to cool off relatively quickly. Otherwise, you’d need to pause drilling for some time before you can begin again.
You can also buy the magnetic drill presses. These have a cooling fluid that does the job quickly. No, you won’t have to pause and start in between drilling gigs anymore. These things save you quite a lot of time.
Buy One with A Laser
It is a general Drill Machine fact that one with a laser cross hair helps you better at aiming where you want to drill holes. The one you buy should have a laser that is visible in broad daylight. People have different opinions about this but I personally favor a guide that tells me where to put the spindle. Yes, even in broad daylight.
Buy A Radial Drill Press If You Don’t Want A Tilting Table
Normal Benchtop Drill machines and radial drill presses look similar at first glance. There’s not that much to differentiate from the front. When you go to the side, you’ll notice a pin. When pulled, you can tilt the drill press up to 45-degree angle sideways. When you are moving up and down, you can do 90-degree tilts.
The ones that support tilting of a machine itself, are best benchtop models for you if you want to drill angled holes. The beauty of this is that you can keep your object flat on the table. No, you won’t have to tilt the table per say to get the angle you want. Just go with the radial drill machine.
When drill presses have become an inevitable tool for our modern constructions, it is critical to get the best bench top drill press from the market. And all of the five drill presses can meet up your demand for capacity and work-ability.
All of these will perform just perfectly. You need to take care of the machines properly and work carefully with these. These are some of the best products out there in the market and this article is just the right tool for you to kick-start your research.