Best Cordless Drills in 2019 – Top Power Tools Tested & Reviewed
What is the best cordless drill exactly? It is just like a normal drill. You have the sturdy housing for the drill, then comes the chuck that holds different drill bits of different shapes and sizes (just like normal drill presses).
Then comes the part which makes these things differ from the normal drill machines. A power drill has mobile power source. You get one or two batteries with a package that you can recharge frequently and put to use.
I’ve seen Cordless Power Drills of different prices. Some are very low and some range high up with the top-of-the-line products. Obviously, the functionalities and durability ratio varies accordingly.
In my list of best cordless drill presses, I’ve tried to mix and match products that represent the price factor and excel in performance as well.
Are There Various Types of These Things?
Nope! If you are wondering you’ll have a lot of types and options, sorry! There are limited variations or types of these power drills. You can differentiate these things depending upon what type of battery they use (more on that later). That is IT!
But let me be clear: Impact Drivers are CLOSE to being drills but AREN’T. These things house hex bits with a “Quick Release” clamp and that is it. You won’t have “Chucks” to hold different types of bits inside.
Some people mistake Screw Guns as Cordless Power Drill Machines. Both are similar, but screw guns have their differences as well. Screw guns work with a “Clip” that houses different screws. You can hammer them in dry wall very quickly. They don’t function as drills and don’t work on other materials or places.
A good drill is a very essential tool to have whether you are doing simple maintenance work or learning basic of it. It can be a frustrating job to pick the perfect drill for you with so many options available on the market. This article will review five best rated cordless drills with describing their features and advantages.
Table of Contents
- 10 Best Cordless Drills -Comparison
- Best Cordless Drills In 2019 - Reviews
- 1. Black & Decker Lithium-Ion Cordless Drill
- 2. DEWALT DC970K-2 18-Volt Drill/Driver Kit
- 3. Genesis GCD18BK 18v Cordless Drill/Driver Kit
- 4. DEWALT DCD760KL Cordless Drill
- 5. DEWALT Bare-Tool Cordless Impact Driver
- 6. Makita XPH102 18V LXT Cordless-Drill Kit
- 7. Milwaukee 2797-22 M18 2-Tool Combo Kit
- 8. Hitachi DS18DGL Cordless Drill Driver Kit
- 9. DEWALT DCD777C2 20V Max Drill Press
- 10. Black & Decker LDX220SBFC Cordless
- Considerations When Choosing The Best Cordless Drill
- Final Verdict
10 Best Cordless Drills -Comparison
Best Cordless Drills In 2019 - Reviews
1. Black & Decker Lithium-Ion Cordless Drill
The Black & Decker LDX120C is a perfect tool for the people who are looking for an entry level driller for “around the house” drill.
The drilling machine comes with 20-volt Lithium-Ion battery, to help you doing long time drilling.
The batteries will provide more charges than the traditional NiCad battery and will be lighter and safer.
The batteries can be safely charged at a quick time. Though the LDX120C drill works with single speed, you can control it with putting a different amount of pressure on the trigger.
The speed of the driller can be 0 to 650 rpm, depending on the quantity of weight on the trigger. You can do light drill perfectly with improved performance. The lightweight and the soft rubber grip will let you hold it comfortably for a long session.
- This one is lightweight with a small footprint; easy to store after you are done.
- You can rely on the performance it offers; combine it with the price and you’ll have a great drill press.
- Despite the small size, it conjures up enough power to do some heavy drilling on home DIY projects.
- Black & Décor comes with a “Quick Charging” battery for your convenience.
- You can’t expect this to cover professional drilling at workshops.
- I didn’t find any carrying case with it.
- Setting the drill bits into the chuck is a bit tricky.
2. DEWALT DC970K-2 18-Volt Drill/Driver Kit
The DEWALT DC970K-2 is one of the most famous cordless drills on the market. The machine comes with a heavy-duty power capacity of 380 unit watts to give you maximum performance.
The 18-volt NiCAD battery gives you enough power to do basic construction and maintenance job effortlessly.
The drill comes with a second battery as a backup so you can have flawless drilling experience.
This cordless drill comes with two-speed settings. The slow speed of 0-450 rpm is best for controlled and calculated drilling. If you want to do it fast, then you can switch to 0-1,500 setting.
The half inched single-sleeve keyless ratcheting chuck is made of plastic. It is extremely sturdy and accurate to give you excellent control and performance.
- Lightweight drill makes it less fatiguing to work with.
- You have a “Carrying Case” to take it anywhere you are traveling; makes it highly portable.
- It comes with a spare battery along with the original one; you can charge one while you work with the other.
- You can either go for low speed to achieve high maneuverability, or high speed for rapid drilling.
- This one can fit into tightest of spaces and the grip is comfortable for you to allow up-close and personal drilling.
- The “Carrying Case” is not sturdy enough to my liking.
3. Genesis GCD18BK 18v Cordless Drill/Driver Kit
The Genesis GCD18BK 18v Cordless Drill/Driver Kit, Grey is the third product in our five best rated cordless drills review list.
It is one of the powerful slow cordless drills with multiple clutch settings to make perfect drilling for house maintenance.
The drilling machine comes with 18V Ni-Cd battery, which is decent considering the less prize it offers. The 16 position clutches will give you advanced control over different kinds of drilling.
This Genesis drill works with a variable speed of 0 to 550 RPM depending on how much the pressure is you put on the trigger. You can do control drilling with the variable speed. You can hold and do your drilling for hours without any problem for its comfortable grip.
- This thing comes with a light to help you drill in dark environments or at night.
- Genesis GCD18BK has longest battery life when you consider this shortlist I came up with.
- It comes with magnetic screw holder, bit holder, and a lot of helpful features making drilling easy.
- This thing has a low price that makes the purchase totally worthy.
- Sink your screws and drill the holes with perfection and in quick time.
- You don’t get a belt hook with this thing.
- Genesis GCD18BK comes with one battery only! You’ll have to stop drilling when it dies to charge.
- Speed is a bit low to my liking.
4. DEWALT DCD760KL Cordless Drill
The DEWALT DCD760KL cordless drill is built with an excellent design to make it carry easily and hold firmly.
The product has a weight of 4 lbs. Making it one of the lightest drills on the market. The cordless drill comes with two-speed settings. The slow-speed mode of 0 to 500 rpm will help you to do accurate drilling.
However, you can select 0 to 1700 rpm for faster drills. The product also comes with a LED light to help you see the speed level. The machine works with compact Lithium-Ion batteries, which are very light and can be charged by half an hour.
- The DCD760KL is a dual speed drill press that provides supreme control when you are drilling.
- DCD760KL is lightweight machine; it doesn’t cause you fatigue after hours of drilling.
- The battery charges quickly unlike many Dewalt models out there.
- 8.2-inch length allows it to fit into tight corners that no other drill press would normally reach.
- Price is a bit on the “High” side according to me.
- Trigger mechanism is a bit hard to grasp initially.
5. DEWALT Bare-Tool Cordless Impact Driver
The DEWALT Bare-Tool DC825B is reputed for its durable nature for long-term usage. The cordless drill is designed to a compact size to help you hold it firmly for long-hour work.
It is a lightweight machine so you can carry it easily. The drill works with two-speed settings of 0 to 2,400 rpm and 0 to 2,700 rpm. Normally, your drilling will be very fast and efficient.
You can do an extensive range of fastening application of the maximum 1,330 in-lbs. rotation. The lightweight construction of the drill makes it easy to carry and handle. The anti-slip comfortable grip will ensure the maximum control and ease to you drilling activities.
- This thing fits tight spaces to give you premium quality drilling experience.
- You can regulate drilling speed through setting it at 16 different clutch positions with touch only.
- I had fun with “Electric Brake,” it saved me from drilling too deep and causing accidents to myself.
- The Non-Slip rubber grip grants you comfort and ease while drilling.
- The magnetic bit tray helps you in grabbing the drill bits without much of a fuss.
- I’d not rate the battery too high compared to other features and highlights of this thing.
6. Makita XPH102 18V LXT Cordless-Drill Kit
When I talk about Best Cordless Drill Presses, Makita XPH102 deserves to be on my list because of the sheer torque it offers. You get 480 lbs. of torque that makes power drilling fun and enjoyable.
Plus, feel free to jump between 0 to 600 RPM or 0 to 1900 RPM and drill with power, precision, and control whenever you need.
Thanks to the variable speeds, any handyman can drill through the thick stuff. Driving screws through holes has never been easier. Hammering an important piece through the holes is also possible.
This lightweight cordless power drill weighs only 3.9lbs. Having less weight means it doesn’t drag your hands down when you operate on various wooden pieces or metal plates. You experience less fatigue than others working with heavier drill presses.
To make your job further easy, Makita XPH102 comes with LED lights that brighten up the surface people work on. You can drill through objects in dim light conditions too.
I quite like the soft grip that Makita offers me with the rubberized handles. I stay relaxed when drilling. Plus, you have “Extreme Protection Technology” or XPT to guard you against the dust particles, water, and metal splashes. So, no complaints people!
- Makita XPH102 features a tough build that allows it to withstand shocks and impacts well.
- I like the Dual Speed Levels that allow me to complete various tasks as a part of various projects.
- This thing is compact and comes with a carrying case to ensure portability.
- Makita XPH102 has a reputation for quick charging when you need it the most.
- If you buy the entire set, it can be quite expensive.
7. Milwaukee 2797-22 M18 2-Tool Combo Kit
When you are in search of a Combo power drill press, Milwaukee 2797-22 is possibly the best one available to you for purchase. Over the years, this brand has gained momentum and public appreciation. Professionals like the HVAC tradesmen use this thing.
The plastic and metal combo construction makes Milwaukee 2797-22 a durable option for you to use. It may be a bit heavy but it lasts the long haul unlike many cordless drill presses out there.
You get a wide range of speed levels to work with. I could do my DIY projects, semi-professional drilling, hammering etc. with these speed levels comfortably. With the 4-setting motor, you can use four modes to tackle different types of drilling applications with ample torque at your disposal.
Speaking of the torque, it is more than decent. You get to work with 1200-inch pounds of torque. This is the highest torque you’ll find in any power drill combo. One thing is clear, Milwaukee 2797 is not just a “Namesake Machine.” It means the real deal and you can drill into some heavy stuff using this machine.
There is a “Water Cooler” integrated into the machine. It helps to keep the machine cool and eligible for long drilling sessions. It sits towards the side of the main tool. As a result, you can change water frequently and easily.
- This thing delivers you the most torque you hope to get out of a cordless power drill machine.
- The batteries recharge a lot quicker than on other devices of the same caliber.
- The machine has a tough build and resists most impacts it suffers during drilling.
- You have easier access to the cooling tank to change water in between drilling.
- It hammers the screws in the holes at an impressive pace.
- The price might raise some eyebrows even among professionals.
- You can’t switch between different modes using just one hand.
Also Read: Best Floor Drill Press – Top Models Compared
8. Hitachi DS18DGL Cordless Drill Driver Kit
Sometimes, price doesn’t dictate how good a product is. Such is the case for Hitachi DS18DGL drill machine and driver kit. At a price below $100, you’ll get a world-class product, to say the least.
Although it doesn’t offer you as much torque as the previous entry on my best cordless drill press list, the 400-inch per pound is just as impressive. You can drill through some very thick materials using this level of torque.
Plus, Hitachi DS18DGL can get into tight spaces like it's nothing thanks to 22 different Torque settings. If you want precision, you have an extra mode dedicated to ensuring precise drilling.
You get two different speeds to drill with. I could utilize 0 – 450 RPM and 0 – 1250 RPM swiftly. I really liked the fact that I could drill holes and hammer screws in those holes comfortably.
One thing impressed me about this product is the set of batteries. The batteries are slim. That provides for a slim handle as well. I could grip it really well. One positive is, I didn’t get fatigued even after 45 minutes of continuous drilling.
Being a drill press available at under $100 doesn’t stop Hitachi DS18DGL from setting up LED light to light up the place you are about to drill. It allows you the pleasure of added visibility and precision to go with it.
- The ergonomic grip of Hitachi DS18DGL allows you better control over the things you drill.
- It fits into tight spaces and corners; you can drill the thinnest of pieces and places.
- This thing offers you more than decent torque to drill through different objects.
- Impact-resistant body is its specialty and a prominent trait.
- Two speed settings offer you versatility while drilling through objects with variable thicknesses.
- It can feel heavy to people.
9. DEWALT DCD777C2 20V Max Drill Press
At this point, let me look at another product from DEWALT. It is DCD777C2 from the reputed lineup of power drill presses. If you are into drilling for a long time, the possibility is, you’ve encountered this piece of the beast at some point in your career or the other.
If you want your machine to deliver a “Killer Punch,” you’d want 20-volt batteries like the DCD777C2.
Just to sweeten the experience, you have dual speed settings with metrics of 0 to 400 revolutions per minute and 0 to 1500 revolutions per minute. Using these speed variations, I could drill through both delicate AND rough objects.
A benefit of having an ergonomic grip is that my hand(s) remain relaxed. They never feel too stressed. Plus, a drill press has a reflexive motion just as a gun does. The grip saves my wrist from bearing the negative impact of the motion.
I could spot the chuck’s entry point and the bit’s traveling area. The distance is short. That means this little beast can reach tight corners and closed spaces pretty easily.
As with drill presses, there’s a dilemma in this one too. You get two types of motors with this model. Either brushless or the brushed motor depending on your choice. The brushed motors heat up quickly compared to the brushless ones. But choosing the latter can mean a bit of an extra expense on your part.
- This thing suits your budget nicely without shedding extra money off the wallet.
- You have a lot of options in terms of power output to choose from.
- It takes care of different materials with variable thicknesses.
- The price is a positive factor when you consider the performance ratio with it.
- The battery takes a lot of time to recharge.
10. Black & Decker LDX220SBFC Cordless
Let me end my list of Best Cordless Power Drills with this amazing product from Black & Decker. The product will cost you cheap change but deliver professional quality services.
Even so, I’d advise this one for the beginners who are learning the tricks and trades of drilling AND for the hobbyists that need help with one or two projects done. For all, you serious blokes, try other products on this list.
You wouldn’t get “That” much of torque using this thing. But the fact is, you’ll be able to jump from either 0 to 400 RPM or 0 to 1400 RPM with a flip of a switch. The speed alone will take care of some light drilling tasks.
The power lies within the battery of this thing. 20-volt battery packs the punch when it comes to drilling through objects or hammering a screw into one. The battery lasts for a long time. One downside is, when the battery runs out of juice, you are done drilling until you recharge this thing.
I’d be happy with the build quality of the thing if I were a newbie. It holds up decently through normal day-to-day tasks. But if you are considering heavy drilling and commercial use at job sites, there are better options on my list.
- Controlling this drill press is easy as cake.
- It is one of those “Affordable” options for beginners.
- Comes with two distinct speed settings.
- Charges quickly compared to most models out in the market.
- The build quality doesn’t facilitate heavy drilling.
- You won’t get too much torque with this thing.
Considerations When Choosing The Best Cordless Drill
With so many types even within the “Cordless” variety of drilling devices, you get confused as to which one is right and which one you should pick for your own project. It is perfectly natural. Initially, I got overburdened with research, frustrated, and annoyed because nothing was clicking.
But my slow research paid off as I found few products closely catering to my needs and specs. Here are the factors I considered before I pushed the “Purchased” button!
I Looked at the Battery
You might not realize this but batteries are an integral part of these drills. These are the things that supply powers. In my research, I found two types of batteries that act as power sources for these beasts.
First one is Lithium I-on battery and second type is Nickel Cadmium variation. With Nickel Cadmium batteries, the weight of a hand drill goes up several notches as they eat up most of the drill’s handle space.
You must dispose of the NiCd batteries in a safe place. Otherwise, Cadmium might wander off into the water to make it poisonous.
That is why I went the safest route and chose Li-ion batteries. These things weigh less (a lot lesser than Nicd counterparts), the size is compact, and they deliver a mix of power and performance.
These batteries eat up less space on the handlebars of these drills. Ergonomic designs are possible with these things at the core of it all. As a result, you can drill longer and without any significant fatigue.
Be wary of the fact that you should choose a drill press with “Two” batteries. That way, you can work with one when you are recharging another. Recharging one time will get you through an entire day’s work. Charging a battery takes 45 minutes on an average.
I Measured Power and Torque Metrics
Many of you might prioritize RMP counts of a portable drill press before you actually buy it. While power is absolutely necessary, I don’t deem having higher RPM count better for a cordless drill press.
You need to measure the torque as well. With high torque, you can push drill bits through thick surfaces. Torque counts as the “Push” your drill machine needs. Simply, it is the “Penetration Power.”
So, where does RPM count fit in? Well, when you are purchasing these machines for specific surfaces, RPMs do become important all on a sudden.
For soft surfaces, ideally you’d need machines with high RPMs and low Torque. For harder surfaces, you need the opposite ratio.
I Took Note of the Size and Weight of My Choices as Well
I’ve seen many cordless power drill reviews that don’t consider size and weight “That” important. In my case, I was a noob in drilling when I started out. This prompted me to buy smaller ones with less weight. This proved to be helpful as I found them easy to maneuver. So, I recommended some of the smallest cordless drill machines around.
That is why I encourage beginners to buy smaller and lighter cordless drills. These things help you out when you decide to drill in tight spaces. If you are planning to buy these things for metal drilling, go for bigger sizes as they need high power and torque for the job. Obviously, you’d need a bigger motor for them.
I Didn’t Forget the Clutch
Even if these cordless machines come at a low price, I frequently drill different stuff that need different approach. Purchasing different tools for different things would mean the same for me. I’d still have to pour in the money. So, while coming up with the list, I made sure that these products have decent clutch systems.
A functioning clutch allows you to drill at different speeds and different torque levels. So, you can drill through different materials without buying multiple drill machines for each of them. It will save you money.
Plus, a well-designed clutch system allows you to cycle through speed levels efficiently. You can control the pressure you apply when hammering in a screw or placing different parts inside a wooden plank efficiently.
Chuck is Every Bit as Important as the Rest of the Factors
In fact, without a proper chuck, drilling bits won’t stay in their place. The chuck can be different in diameter and size for the handheld drill machines. The standard size is 1/4-inch to ½-inch. The drill presses you seen in the list mostly have keyed chucks to hold the bits in place.
You’ll find the smart cordless drill press models with “Keyless” chucks as well. This variant has metal prongs that hold the drill bits in place. People can adjust the prongs with bare hands when needed.
Newer models (few in my list too) feature Hex Chucks. These things are great when you want to put an extra stress on drill bits to push through. You’ll also find them useful when you are working with concrete or metal. Please see to it that you use hexagonal drill bits with these chucks for an accurate fit.
What Are My Advantages Using Cordless Power Drills?
Now I can list a few advantages of using corded drills for you guys. You know what? I’ll do that below just to put the icing on the cake. So, here it goes!
Normally, you won’t find these things to be long lasting or too powerful. Instead, they are super quick. Also, corded drills are small in footprint. You can maneuver them a lot easily than conventional drills.
One thing all drill machines have common is that they need to be used in short bursts and for short periods. A power drill may sound too complicated for these tasks and eats up power. Instead, we use top rated cordless drill presses. These things have enormous battery life that normally, supports a full day’s work.
Another plus point of this variation of drilling tools is that you don’t need a power outlet to do the job. It saves you heck of a time. Just imagine what you can accomplish with the extra 10 minutes that you would’ve searched for a power source all around to set up the drill machine.
Portability is another trait of these things that I am proud of. Expert handymen can take these things anywhere. They can drill outdoors for hours without worrying about plugging it in. The expensive models come with greater power output and torque. You can use them in professional jobs as well.
These are great tools for beginners looking to learn the craft of drilling holes OR hammering in screws and other objects.
Video Credit: The Building Sheriff
The list of the five best cordless drills will give you a brief idea by describing important features of those products. However, the decision is yours. You need to choose an appropriate machine depending upon your workload and the type of drilling you do.
Also take into consider the batteries that are supplied with these machines before making your final choice.