Best Drill Press for Woodworking for 2019 – Experts Opinion
Trust me, it is hard to find a drill press sturdy and capable enough for the job. It must be powerful to penetrate thick wooden objects and delicate enough not to damage them. So, I went ahead and did the hard bit. I came up with a list of 10 top drill press candidates for woodworking. You’ll find my remarks with pros and cons in the next section.
If you are looking for a Woodworking drill press for comfortable, easy and perfect drilling experience then you should consider some key features before buying the perfect fit. These features should benefit a person to carve the wood and also provide comfort for the long projects that he/she might be working on.
Finding a proper device is very hard and so is the research. In this article, I will discuss five best drill presses for woodworking in this review with explaining their features and advantages. You can easily find a suitable one for yourselves from the list or simply opt for a detailed review if you so choose.
Table of Contents
- Comparisons of Best Drill Press for Woodworking
- 9 Best Drill Press for Woodworking - Reviews
- 1. WEN 4205 8-Inch Drill Press with Laser
- 2. SKIL 3320-01 3.2 Amp 10-Inch Drill Press
- 3. Shop Fox W1668 ¾-HP 13-Inch Bench
- 4. Craftsman 10-Inch Benchtop Drill Press
- 5. Rockwell RK7033 Shop Series Drill Press
- 6. Rikon 30-100 8-Inch Benchtop Drill Press
- 7. WEN 4214 12-Inch Benchtop Drill Press
- 8. Delta 18-900L 18-Inch Laser Drill Press
- 9. Grizzly G7943 12 Speed Heavy-Duty Bench-Top Drill Press
- How to Buy a Drill Press for Woodworking?
- Final Verdict
Comparisons of Best Drill Press for Woodworking
Spindle Speeds (RPM)
570 - 3,050
620 - 3100
300 - 2900
620 - 3100
580 - 3200
150 - 3000
140 - 3050
9 Best Drill Press for Woodworking - Reviews
1. WEN 4205 8-Inch Drill Press with Laser
This woodworking drill press is special at so many levels! Firstly, it has this ½-inch keyed chuck that gives you super precise and up close drilling experience.
You can fit in different keys in there and the best thing is, the key storage facility is onboard this bench top drill press.
The spindle can travel 2 inches deep into the wood. It is readable from a normal height.
Thanks to this, you can drill at a linear line and accurately too. Don’t forget that you can repeatedly drill at the same spot without losing the edge.
I quite like the 1/3-amp motor for power. It derives enough power to complete my DIY projects in one go. This little motor runs on 120v of power. It is durable and can withstand shocks and impacts from a height. Plus, the torque helps the spindle to push forward too.
I can easily handle projects thanks to the 45-degree swing left and right. Yes, you can tilt this machine to your liking within this angle limit. It gives you the edge when you are about to carve something onto wood.
- It is an entry-level drill press; so you can expect this to be affordable.
- Cast iron, Aluminum, steel, and even ABS plastic parts go into the construction to make it durable.
- WEN 4205 is an entry-level product; there are five levels of speed which is impressive to say the least.
- I could easily change the bits because it has the “Chuck Bit” design that doesn’t let bits drop.
- It has 2-inch chuck and a laser targeting system; together these make it a versatile piece of tech.
- You’d have to recalibrate the laser alignment manually.
2. SKIL 3320-01 3.2 Amp 10-Inch Drill Press
Want a small, quick, pocket dynamo for your wooden crafts? Here you have SKIL 3320-01 3.2 Amp 10-inch drill press. ½-inch keyed chuck makes way for a wide range of bits to use with this drill press.
Also, it rivals and wins over the handheld drill system that most of us possess. You won’t be able to believe how precise this thing is until you use it yourselves.
The motor provides an amazing torque that helps you drill through thickest of wooden materials. The RPM can jump up from 750 to 3050 in a matter of seconds. No, you won’t be encountering any load RPMs. Plus, you have 5 different speed levels to work with and each of them is suited for different type of in-home project you may have.
Did I mention that you can tilt the worktable from 0 to 45-degree angle? This feature alone gives you the flexibility and up close control that you need for your craft to be picture perfect. Not all of us are comfortable working at one angle for a long time. Now, find your own angle to handle this thing better all thanks to the feature of adjustability.
I found the worktable length of 7/5-8 inches decent. I could do all sorts of intricate jobs thanks to this worktable and the tilting feature. Plus, the chuck lets you use all sorts of bits needed for different projects.
- You can use this thing for any woodworking project thanks to the 10-inch swing.
- The laser aim grants it precise aim and accurate drilling abilities.
- The bed can be tilted up to 45-degree angle giving you ample comfort and ease.
- This drill press is perfect when you are working with low light exposure.
- I must say having a 5-speed drill press is quite a bargain for this price. I am impressed!
- Lasers use up AA batteries that die relatively quickly. You can find replacements easily though.
3. Shop Fox W1668 ¾-HP 13-Inch Bench
If you want a premium-style bench top drill press for woodworking, Shop Fox W1668 is worth a shot. It is a popular brand with W1668 having a ¾-HP motor. It helps people to drill through soft or hardwood. Even mild steel could be drilled with this.
This one on my list doesn’t eat up space of your workshop. You can fit it in the stingiest places. If you are a messy worker like me, you’ll enjoy having this around.
This thing can go through twelve changeable speed levels. You can imagine how good it will be to play with 12 different speeds, right? Also, the motor speed can range from 250 – 3050 RPM. The lowest speed is slow enough to drill through metallic objects. No, it won’t generate heat.
This thing has a generous swing of 13-1/14 that lets you work with wide objects. Also, unlike any woodworking drill press from my list, it has a tilt of 90 degrees that gives you better angle when working on something.
The spindle reach is 3-1/4” and it means that the holes you dig will be pretty deep. In fact, the tool will take care of commercial material drilling too. The only thing I have a few quirks about is the price. It is too high for my liking.
- The spindle can travel quite deep into the wooden object.
- You have 12 speeds to work with on your projects.
- The 90-degree tilt gives you better angle to work with as well.
- You can take care of drilling wide objects.
- I could also do “Light” metal drilling with this tool.
- It combines accuracy, speed, and performance.
- I have some issues with the high price of this thing.
4. Craftsman 10-Inch Benchtop Drill Press
As we take our list of Best Drill Press for Woodworking List further, let’s take a look at Craftsman 10-inch Benchtop Drill Press.
First thing out of many features is that the 6Amp motor that it provides. You might not realize this but it is a LOT of power. You just need the right drilling bit for the job
The chuck size for this thing is ½” and you can use the woodworking drill bits perfectly with this drill press. The 10-inch drill press has 5 levels of speed.
Despite being five levels, each level has a high-speed range. The lowest this thing goes is 620 RPM and the highest is 3100 RPM. You can drill through most materials comfortably.
To make sure you view the drilling area clearly, the makers included a LED light. Turn it on in a dimly lit area and you’ll have a clear visibility.
The bench top drill press has a cast iron table. This table has fences. The fence prevents your wooden materials from flying out of the working surface. Also, the fence makes locking in different positions possible. You can adjust the table with “Rock and Pinion” method.
Craftsman offers you 10-inch swing. But if you feel, you can downgrade to 8-inch swing or even move up to 12-inch swing if you feel like it.
- You have 6-amp motor that can drill through most objects.
- There are 5 speeds in this one too but the speed range is different with lowest one at 630 RPM.
- You have a chuck guard that protects your machine and the wood you are working on.
- You can move up and down with the swing arc in this woodworking dress press.
- The chuck takes in most woodworking drill bits.
- The cast iron table provides you fences that make adjusting the drill press easy.
- So far, no cons worth mentioning.
5. Rockwell RK7033 Shop Series Drill Press
This one is the upgrade for RK7032 and for good reasons. 6.2-amp motor bests the previous one on my list. You can expect top notch and fiery performance from this drill press every time.
Best thing is, it is consistent as well as low-key. You can fit it in your garage inside a cupboard.
The 2/3 HP motor drills through wood and even thin metal. Of course, you’ll be able to drill through wood. But the interesting thing is, you can even drill plastic with the variable range of speeds. People can even adjust the height of the table thanks to the “Rack and Pinion” system.
I experimented with this drill press and found that the table tilts up to 45 degrees on left and right. You can carve various things on a wooden surface thanks to the curvature.
You don’t need to look to your tool box for assembling this thing too. It comes with Allen wrench for you to assemble itself. People won’t have to worry about accidents either. There is a chuck key that prevents you from switching on the machine accidentally.
I am pretty happy with the warranty as well. You have to request it from the customer service of Rockwells.
- You can mount Rockwell bench top drill press anywhere on the table you want.
- The motor is powerful enough to drill various metals.
- 5 speeds give you ample levels to work with for different projects.
- There is a safety switch to prevent accidents for the users.
- This doesn’t come with a laser guide.
6. Rikon 30-100 8-Inch Benchtop Drill Press
As we move on with our agenda, I’ve decided to add Rikon 30-100 8-inch Benchtop Drill Press into the fold. When you are looking for a quality drill press, Rikon can fill the gap.
It is a low-budget tool for woodworkers. Rikon 30-100 is what you call a “Beginner-friendly.”
This thing comes with 5 different speed levels which are normal at this point. These speed ranges are perfect for DIY practices, small projects, and science projects at school. Lowest speed for this unit is 620 RPM and the highest is 3100 RPM. The range for speed in these levels is good enough for you to try something new.
You have the cast iron construction that helps to minimize vibrations we get from drilling metal or thick wooden objects. This construction encourages precise drilling when you need that. One thing is, the thickness of the metal body needs to be less than ½”.
This cast iron table can be adjusted to your preference; you can tilt it however you see fit. However, the precise adjustment is hard to achieve since the drill press is bolted to the table. You’ll have to go to the lengths of unscrewing the whole 30-100 drill press to adjust it accurately.
Adjusting different bits is easy compared to the earlier thing. They lock into position nicely. Remember, it is an entry-level thing to handle. Don’t expect it to be super glossy in terms of performances.
- The cast iron grab my attention. It makes the drill press solid and unbreakable in my opinion.
- You have variable speed to tackle different objects.
- People can adjust the bits with a position lock.
- Motor is powerful and can take long usage.
- Perfect, beginner-friendly drill press for newbies.
- The table doesn’t tilt accurately and it is hard to precisely adjust the table without a tool.
7. WEN 4214 12-Inch Benchtop Drill Press
At this point of my discussion on Best Drill Presses for Woodworking, it is another WEN product. This time, it is WEN 4214 12-inch Benchtop Drill Press. As you can see, it is slightly better than its predecessor on this very list.
It comes with a 2/3 HP motor that packs a punch. It can deliver power for most of the drilling gigs. So much so that it can penetrate light sheets of metal too. Yes, besides the wood, it takes care of metal and plastic.
I am skeptical about the speed range of this thing. While 580 RPM doesn’t make me leap of out my seat, it isn’t too bad either for the lowest speed. You can only drill through metal sheets that are less than ½-inch thick. The highest range for this woodwork drill machine is 3200 RPM which, again, isn’t too shabby.
The spindle of WEN 4214 travels deep with its length of 3-1/8”. That allows me to drill deep holes for my DIY projects. This thing has a cast iron table which measures up to be 9-1/2” X 9-1/2”. This is ample space for your wooden boards. You can adjust the height of the table thanks to the rock and pinion system.
Also, the machine itself can tilt up to 45 degrees left or right. You can carve up the woods or drill holes in them with better control now.
- 2/3 HP Motor delivers enough power to carry on drilling for woodworking projects.
- You have wide range of speed options to work with.
- Best thing is, you can interpret the speed level thanks to the digital readout meter.
- Cast iron table is pretty large offering you a lot of space.
- I love the work light it comes with that aids my visibility.
- You also have a laser to guide you to pin-point accuracy while drilling.
- I’d call it a “Semi-professional” equipment as it doesn’t suit professional woodworking.
8. Delta 18-900L 18-Inch Laser Drill Press
I’ve included some pretty awesome tools on my best drill press for woodworking’s list. Let us go one step further and delve into two of the most sought after drill presses that are out there.
Delta 18-900L 18-Inch Laser Drill Press is laced with features and provides top notch performance if the price isn’t an issue for you guys!
This is a quality drill let me give you that. It features a nice construction. This thing is slim. Leaves a lot of room on the table by taking less space. The construction gives it the edge in durability too.
When it comes to speed, this one has 16 different levels to play with. Changing the speed levels is also easy to handle for the users. Yes, now you can manage metal drilling and commercial woodworking with the same drill press.
You can measure how deep you are drilling with a depth scale. Also, this thing has a laser cross-hair that is bright. You can spot it in surroundings with a bright light.
What I liked about this is how easily it adjusts the power to the type of wood you are drilling. The “Auto Tension Belt” makes swift adjustments that are needed for the job.
Also, I love the Quill stroke of six inches. It delivers when it comes to drilling deep holes in woodworking.
- 16 speed levels are a lot for a woodworking genius.
- Quill stroke of 6 inches allows you to penetrate thick wood and make deep holes.
- Auto Tension belt exerts force that’s necessary; it switches to lesser force if needed automatically.
- Drill hard plastic, wood, and even metal with this thing without flinching.
- You can tilt the work table to 48 degrees at most.
- It is not a budget-friendly model.
9. Grizzly G7943 12 Speed Heavy-Duty Bench-Top Drill Press
If you are wondering where Grizzly is in my list of the best drill press for woodworking, here it is!
Grizzly G7943 benchtop drill press is perfect for home and industry-grade wood and thin metal.
With ¾ HP motor, this thing is a beast when it comes to handling thick wood or hardwood.
For a mid-budget drill press, Grizzly G7943 surely doesn’t hold back on speed levels. You have twelve-speed levels at your disposal and you should find them useful when doing the commercial-grade wood carving, polishing, or drilling.
Besides the power, you have a 14-inch swing that helps you get the job done quicker. If you are worried about the load on electricity, the motor is “Single Phase” and it runs on 110V standard power. So, no headaches there.
The next thing is the variable chuck. The chuck size varies from 1/64-inch to 5/8-inch. This allows you to use different bits with this thing. This opens up doors to so many things. For example, you can even drill through thin metal sheets.
Many of us halt the drilling when it gets too dark. Grizzly G7943 allows you to continue the task thanks to a built-in light. It is there to support you in dim light and prevent unwanted hiccups.
It comes with a cast iron table that grants this thing stability. You can adjust the height of the table. Plus, I enjoyed how it tilted 90 degrees on left and right sides. Made my job of wood crafting really easy. It comes across as a heavy tool with 154 pounds of weight.
- This thing comes with a solid construction.
- 12 levels of speed make it a formidable drilling tool.I love the 90-degree tilt this drill machine has.
- For dim-lit places, it has a light to aid you.
- It is a bit heavy for my liking.
Check Some More Drill press for Woodworking!
Comparison of Top Woodworking Drill Press
310 to 2340
620 to 3100
280 to 3,000
Best Woodworking Drill Press Reviews
1. WEN 4205 8-Inch Drill Press with Laser
The WEN 4205 8-Inch Drill Press with Laser is the first in our best five drill presses for woodworking list.
The drill press comes with a heavy-duty 2.3 amp motor, which can give you durable performance for a longer period.
The speed of 1700 RPM will give you precise ability to drill woods accurately.
The drill press comes with 5 different speeds to work properly with various items.
The 2 inches drilling capacity is very impressive with the perfection of the machine. The wen 4205 drill comes with a decent chuck quality that operates smooth enough to make your work more comfortable. The size of the chuck is 0 to ½ inches. The size of the table is 6-1/2 x 6-1/2 inches.
Features at a Glance
- Powerful Motor
- Maximum Drilling capacity
- 1 Year Limited Warranty
- Bare-tool Included
2. Grizzly G7942 Five Speed Baby Drill Press
The Grizzly G7942 Five Speed Baby Drill Press is renowned for their high performance, and sturdy built quality for miniature work.
The motor processes with 1/3 horsepower and 110v. You can work with harder woods easily with the high-power machine in your small shop.
The multi-speed functions work with five different speeds to make your work more controlled with the different kind of woods. The precise ½-inch drilling capacity is decent enough for small projects.
This drill press comes with a drill chuck of 1-64-Inch - 1/2-Inch. You can work smoothly with the high-quality chuck for perfect drilling. The 14 x 18 x 9 inches dimension of the product makes it comfortably placed in a small workshop.
Features at a Glance
- Best Drill chuck
- TEFC motor
- 40.2 pounds Weight
- No Batteries Required
3. Northern Industrial Tools Benchtop Mini Drill Press
The Northern Industrial Tools Benchtop Mini Drill Press will give you accurate and comfortable drilling experiences with woodworking.
The motor of this drill works with 1/3 HP(horsepower) to process tougher woods comfortably.
The heavy-duty motor takes 120 volts to give 620 to 3100 RPM output. There are five-speed settings to control the machine's speed. You can perfectly drill different woods, using these setting. The chuck size is ½ inches.
The machine delivers one of the smoothest performances with the excellent Chuck. The drilling capacity is decent with ½ inches. The worktable is L x W: 6 5/8 x 6 9/16 inches. The small dimension of 7 x 16 15/16 x 22 ½ inches makes the drill accommodate in the least place correctly.
Features at a Glance
- Threaded depth lock
- Screwdriver handle
- 11 5/8in. x 7 1/3in. base
- Powerful Motor
4. General 14" Bench Top Drill Press
The General 14" Bench Top Drill Press is the fourth product in our best drill press for woodworking list. The drill press is renowned for giving both power and performance.
The drill press comes with high-quality materials and settings to make it a standard floor model for woodworks.
The industrial quality machine works with ½ horsepower and five different spindle speeds. The 280 to 3000 rpm speed allows you to drill different kinds of materials accurately. The laser guard makes your work more precise and comfortable.
The bonus chuck-guard gives extra protection to work more safely. The General 14" drill press comes with excellent built quality and cast-iron pulleys that decrease the vibration and let you work in a comfortable zone.
Features at a Glance
- 45 degree tilting
- Cast-iron pulleys
- Quick adjustment Setting
5. Woodtek 109367, Machinery, Drill Presses
The Woodtek 109367, Machinery, Drill Presses will handle a high amount of workloads without any problems.
With the sturdy built quality, the drill press comes with a heavy-duty machine of ½ horsepower, which makes drilling the toughest material very easily.
The motor process with 1700 RPM speed. There are five-speed settings of 720, 1,070, 1,620, 2,360 and 3,250 RPM. No matter, what the material is, you can drill it properly using these settings. The high-quality chuck has a size of ½ inches. It let you drill different woods smoothly.
The compact swing is 10-1/8 inches. The worktable has a size of 6-1/2 by 6-1/2 inches with a total dimension of 29-1/2 x 10 x 19-1/2 inches. The larger table makes your work more comfortable than the other drill presses.
Features at a Glance
- Powerful Motor
- Spindle taper Chuck
- 62 lbs Net Weight
- Table Size Design
How to Buy a Drill Press for Woodworking?
You must be wondering; how did I compile my list? How did I come across these machines? How will you buy a perfect woodworking drill machine? Well, all these questions will be answered in the next segment.
Choosing the type
If you want a drill machine for drilling holes into wooden pieces, people will suggest different types. But it is crucial to select the one “You” need. There are usually floor drill presses and benchtop ones that are common for these tasks. The “Floor” drill presses usually come with bigger work table.
Of course, you have the ability to adjust these things. You have a motor powerful enough to drill through thin sheets of metal in addition to wood. I’ll advise you to choose one if you have commercial responsibilities.
The “Benchtop” ones have a smaller footprint. They come with a moderate motor that supplies power for smaller tasks. If you have a cramped workstation, these are the best choices you can make. I personally prefer ones with a small footprint.
Does Your Drill do Different Things?
Nowadays, drilling doesn’t only mean carving round holes in wooden objects. In fact, you need to polish, shape, and even cut your wooden furniture when there’s a need. For that, you need to have different bits at your disposal. The “best drill press for woodworking” list has some candidates that have an apt “Chuck” size.
This allows you to fit in different types of woodworking bits that you need at different times. To make sure you don’t encounter further troubles, you must have proper drill bits at hand.
Make Sure the Chuck is Smooth
While we are on the topic of bits, another thing I need to address and address properly! You need to buy a drilling tool that features good Chuck and Spindle combo. The Chuck shouldn’t wobble when you fit bits into it. Plus, assembly with spindle should be flawless to prevent any kind of accidents. You’ll find tools in the package to help you tackle the issue.
Spindle Reach is A Fact
A big fact indeed. Every spindle has a fixed length that they can move to. The longer the reach, the deeper the hole. Always measure a Quill stroke of a tool for drilling. You can adjust the spindle too. In that case, have a good look at the “Quill Lock” and how smooth it operates. Choose the best drill press for woodworking based on a smooth quill lock.
Considering the features and the capacity of these drill presses in the list, it is without a doubt clear that these drill presses are the best in the market. You can rely on them for heaviest of projects.
So, buy one of the above drill presses with confidence and without worrying too much.
- Check Out The Best Drill Press For Metal – Top Models
- Best Floor Drill Press– Top Models Compared!
- 10 Best Hammer Drills – Latest Drills Compared & Reviewed
- Black & Decker LDX120C Cordless Drill Machine Review
- 5 Best Drill Press Under 200 Dollars – Top Budget Models
- Best Cordless Drills – Top Power Tools Tested & Reviewed