5 Best Electric Log Splitter – Top Model Reviews For 2020
During the coldest months of the year, it’s imperative that we all stay warm and toasty while the weather gets nasty outside. For households with a fireplace, that means that having a reliable stock of firewood is necessary for the winter.
While you could go out and spend hours chopping wood and splitting logs, why put yourself through all of that misery? Instead, we highly recommend outsourcing all of that hard labor to a machine – specifically, an electric log splitter.
Today we’re going to be looking at the best electric log splitters and how they can make your life so much easier when stocking up on wood for the winter (as well as other times throughout the year). Whether you need to split logs all the time or just during the colder months, these machines will ensure that you’re never without the right amount of wood.
Table of Contents
- Top 5 Best Electric Log Splitters – Comparison
- Best Electric Log Splitter – Reviews
- Final Verdict
Top 5 Best Electric Log Splitters – Comparison
|Boss Industrial ES7T20 Electric||2 HP||7||Check Latest Price|
|Pow’ R’ Kraft 65556 4-Ton 15 Amp||15 Amp||4||Check Latest Price|
|WEN 56207 6.5-Ton Electric||2.5 HP||6.5||Check Latest Price|
|YARDMAX YS0552 5 Ton Electric||15 amp||5||Check Latest Price|
|Boss Industrial EC5T20 Electric||1.8 HP||5||Check Latest Price|
Best Electric Log Splitter – Reviews
1. Boss Industrial ES7T20 Electric Log Splitter
When looking at different log splitters, you can usually break them down into two categories – commercial and residential. The former option is meant for large-scale operations that need to split hundreds or thousands of logs in a single day. Assuming that you don’t need that much firewood, a residential splitter is going to be more than sufficient.
Although the power and performance of this Boss Electric Log Splitter are certainly high-quality, the construction of the machine isn’t quite up to the same standards as commercial-grade models. That being said, if you’re looking just to split a few dozen logs at a time, then this unit will be excellent for that.
As far as power goes, this electric log splitter has a two-horsepower motor and drives each log with up to seven tons of force. With an all-metal rig and a durable, rugged wedge, you can make short work of almost any log, even those made of harder woods.
To help keep the logs in place, this splitter comes with two side rails. Not only that, but the ram also has teeth to ensure that the logs don’t spill off while the machine is in operation. Overall, you can be sure that you’ll get a clean split each time.
To help you even further, this electric log splitter comes with two rear-mounted wheels so that you can move it into place quickly and efficiently. The wheels are made of rubber so that they last longer, and they’re solid so that you don’t have to worry about losing air over time.
This splitter is also a one-handed operation, which enables you to work faster. One hand can place the log onto the rail while the other works the machine, allowing you to get more logs processed in less time.
Overall, this is an excellent residential log splitter. It has the power of a commercial-grade model at a more affordable price. It’s also more lightweight and easier to maneuver, making it an ideal choice for most households.
- Rugged construction
- Powerful two-horsepower motor
- Electric operation is cleaner
- Rear wheels for easy maneuvering
- Durable splitting wedge
- Delivers up to seven tons of force
- One-handed operation for convenience
- Bottom-mounted ram with teeth
- Side rails to hold logs in place
- Industrial-grade gear pump
- Not meant for heavy-duty use
- In rare cases, the side rails can bend under pressure
2. Pow’ R’ Kraft 65556 4-Ton 15 Amp Electric Log Splitter
If you were hoping to see some commercial-grade log splitters on this list, one thing you have to remember is that electric models are not going to provide as much power as gasoline models. However, assuming that you don’t have to split hundreds of logs at once, each of these machines should be more than sufficient for your needs.
In this case, we have a four-ton splitter from Pow R’ Kraft. While this unit is not quite as powerful as the Boss model above, it does come with a variety of features that make it an ideal choice for many households.
First, we like the construction of this splitter. It’s made of all-steel components, which ensures that it will work for years to come. Also, considering that the 1500-watt motor is at the bottom of the machine, it won’t overheat, and it will work continuously until you’re finished.
The side rails of this splitter are higher up and made of flat panels, which help guide the logs along the track more efficiently. Also, the wedge is reinforced with metal braces in the middle, ensuring that it won’t bend or break easily.
This splitter can handle logs up to 10 inches wide (12 inches for softer woods) and 20 inches in length. The four tons of driving power is more than enough to split each log quickly and efficiently, although the ram won’t get as close to the wedge as other models, so you may have to finish breaking some logs here and there if they don’t split all the way.
To help keep this splitter in place, it comes with a front piece that digs into the ground. Other machines have rubber feet or a stand that helps keep it stable, but those options can usually slide a little bit with each split. With this model, however, it will stay in one place the whole time, making it even more reliable than most. Once you’re finished, you can simply lift it by the front handle and move it via the rear-mounted rubber wheels.
- All steel construction
- 1500-watt motor
- Higher side rails for stability
- Rear-mounted rubber wheels
- Front handle for easier maneuvering
- Delivers four tons of ram force
- Works on logs up to 10 x 20 inches
- Can split 12-inch logs made of softer woods
- Reinforced wedge won’t bend or break
- In rare cases, the splitter may trip the circuit breaker repeatedly
- Ram won’t go all the way to the wedge, so some logs may only get split partially
3. WEN 56207 6.5-Ton Electric Log Splitter
So far, we’ve been looking at electric log splitters that sit close to the ground. While this design makes the machines lighter and easier to maneuver, it can be more than a little uncomfortable to have to stop every time you want to place a new log on the track.
Fortunately, with this model from Wen, you get a 34-inch stand that attaches to the bottom of the machine. Best of all, this stand is removable so that you don’t have any issues when it comes time to put the splitter away for the season.
Although having a stand is an excellent addition to this splitter, the power and performance of the unit are more than enough on its own. This model delivers up to 6.5 tons of driving force, which is more than sufficient for almost any log you may encounter. According to the manufacturer, you can do up to 120 logs per hour, with a maximum size of 20.5 inches long and 10 inches wide.
One element that we haven’t covered yet is the automatic return (which all of these splitters have). With most of these machines, you have to manually move the ram back to starting position, which can be time-consuming and exhausting. In this case, however, you can work a lot faster since the hammer will move back automatically after each split.
Overall, if you want to work quickly and efficiently, this is the log splitter for you. While attaching and removing the stand can be a little tricky, it’s well worth the added effort.
- Delivers 6.5 tons of driving force
- Reinforced side panels
- Detachable mounting bracket to raise the splitter
- 5.5-inch solid rubber wheels work with or without the stand
- Pull trigger design for efficiency
- Front handle for easy maneuvering
- Splits logs up to 10 inches wide and 20.5 inches long
- Automatic return
- Can handle up to 120 logs per hour
- The stand can be cumbersome when not in use
- Taking apart the splitter from the stand can be tricky
Also Read: The Ten Best Log Splitters Available Today
4. YARDMAX YS0552 5 Ton Electric Log Splitter
Next, we have another electric log splitter that comes with an extendable stand. If you like the idea of working at a higher level to help save your back, then you’ll appreciate the ease and efficiency of this machine. That being said, it is a bit more complicated to attach the stand on this model, so keep that in mind.
Although this splitter comes with a lot of the standard features we’ve seen so far, one bonus that we really appreciate is the fact that you can adjust the stroke length. Just because this machine can accept logs up to 20 inches long doesn’t mean that you’ll be splitting logs of that size. If you’re working with mostly shorter pieces, then you’ll want to make the splitter work more efficiently. Fortunately, this unit gives you the option.
Another element that you can only find with this machine is the addition of a front tray. Usually, the sides of the log fall to the ground immediately after being split, but that can be dangerous, particularly if you have the stand attached. Instead, this model gives you a tray so that they keep moving forward, making the whole operation safer.
Compared to other splitters, this model has five tons of driving force, a reinforced wedge that won’t break, and a recycle time of 16 seconds. This is an excellent model for most households.
- Delivers five tons of splitting pressure
- Recycles in 16 seconds with automatic return
- The two-handed operation for added safety
- Front tray helps guide the logs after splitting
- Takes logs up to 20.5 inches long (10 inches wide)
- The stand can be extended to bring it up higher
- Reinforced wedge won’t bend or break
- Adjustable stroke length
- The front stand can slide easier than others
- Attaching the higher stand can take a while
5. Boss Industrial EC5T20 Electric Log Splitter
We’ve already seen what a Boss Electric Log Splitter can do, but if you don’t want as much driving force (or a less-bulky model), then this option will be much better for you.
This particular splitter from Boss only comes with a 1.8-horsepower motor and five tons of driving force instead of seven. While that may seem to be a downgrade at first, the lightweight and compact size of this machine mean that you can work in a variety of places, including indoors if necessary. Thus, if you only have to split a handful of logs and you’re more concerned with maneuverability, then this is the model to buy.
Otherwise, this splitter has all of the usual features. It comes with large rubber wheels for moving around easily, it has metal side rails to keep the logs in place, and it has an automatic return for better efficiency. This splitter has a one-handed operation for convenience, and it comes with an industrial-grade motor.
- Five tons of splitting power
- Large rear wheels for easy maneuvering
- Side rails for stability while splitting
- Rugged construction
- One-handed operation for convenience
- Hydraulic system lasts longer than other splitters
- Automatic return for the faster operation
- 1.8-horsepower motor
- Lightweight and portable design
- Wheels are not as rugged as the rest of the machine
- No teeth on the ram for keeping the logs in place
Because splitting logs is a pretty straightforward practice, you want a machine that is reliable, durable, and will last season after season. With those elements in mind, we highly recommend the Boss ES7T20 Splitter or the Wen 56207 model.
What we like most about these machines is that they have the highest driving force of anything else on this list. With seven and 6.5 tons, respectively, you can be sure to make short work of any log that sits on the track.
In addition to the massive driving force, both of these splitters have extra features that make them even more desirable. The Boss model comes with teeth on the ram to keep the log in place while splitting, and the Wen unit has an extendable stand so that you don’t have to bend over each time.
In either case, each of these machines is one of the best electric log splitters, which is why we highly recommend them for any household.
- Best Drum Sanders – Top 5 Models Reviewed & Compared
- Best CNC Routers – Take Your Woodworking to the Next Level
- Best Cabinet Table Saw – Our Favourite Models
- Best Gas Log Splitter – Top Models Analyzed and Reviewed