5 Best Jobsite Radio in 2019 – Dispel The Gloom in Your Workspace
No matter how much you love building, woodworking or crafting, the endless monotony of saws, drills, and nail guns can start to get to even the most experienced worker after a while. Fortunately, there are some of the best jobsite radios with MP3/Bluetooth capabilities that can break up the power tool drone. Here are some product reviews to help you choose the best job site radio for your working crew.
Table of Contents
Best Jobsite Radio – Comparisons
|Picture||Product Name||Power Source||Weight||Price|
|ION Audio Tailgater Active||AC Power||21.0 pounds||Check Latest Price|
|Milwaukee Electric Tool 2792-20||AC & Battery||17.1 pounds||Check Latest Price|
|Milwaukee 2890-20 18V Dual||AC Power||11.66 pounds||Check Latest Price|
|DEWALT DCR015 12V/20V||Battery-Powered||13.5 pounds||Check Latest Price|
|Sangean TB-100 (Toughbox)||AC Power||6.9 pounds||Check Latest Price|
Best Jobsite Radio – Reviews
1. ION Audio Tailgater Active (iPA30ABK)
Though they are better known for their home audio products, ION also makes excellent heavy duty outdoor audio products like their iPA30ABK Tailgater. Unlike a standard boombox, this device is ruggedized with heavy duty plastic, steel corner caps and sure-gripping steel that provides additional drop protection.
The piping also makes this unit easier to tote around the job site, and its 50-hour battery life ensures you can keep the music going all day long at work. You also never have to worry about plugging it in, as the iPAK30ABK has multiple AC in and out ports for use with generators or regular home current electricity. Moreover, with 50- watts RMS and a woofer/tweeter combo speaker, you can hear this unit clearly over jobsite background noise.
Even at high volume, the audio stays crystal clear and you never miss a beat due to distortion or feedback. You can keep up with the news and weather while you listen to music throughout the day, or stream from any Bluetooth compatible audio device. The ION Tailgater Active iPA30ABK is an all-around solid performer that gives you every penny’s worth of value.
- Ruggedized construction and water-resistant housing
- Bluetooth, AM/FM, and AUX-IN Connectivity
- Extended battery life
- No USB charging ports to keep your mobile devices topped off
- No casters and extendable handy for easier mobility
- No microphone input for Public Address (PA) purposes
2. Milwaukee Electric Tool 2792-20 M18 Job Radio
One of the oldest names in the business, Milwaukee Electric Tool builds everything to uncompromising standards of quality. Even their 2792-20 M18 Job Radio is built every bit as tough as any of their drills, saws, and other power tools in their product line.
2792 has three integrated carrying handles that double as guard bars against drop damage, and all the edges and corners are encased in heavy-duty impact resistant plastic. It’s even got an internal roll cage to make sure the occasional drop doesn’t bring your musical accompaniment to an abrupt end.
Inside 2792, there is a weather-sealed compartment for your belongings or a smartphone so you can charge back up without worrying about the inclement weather. Got Milwaukee Electric Tool battery packs that need charging? Plug em right into this job site radio and top them off along with your smartphone. It’s even got a built-in bottle opener for when 5 o’clock finally rolls around at the end of the day.
Are you demanding about audio quality? In addition to Bluetooth streaming up to 100 feet, AM/FM Radio with 10 presets, and an AUX-IN port and cable, 2792 has two 40-watt full range speakers that will keep your soundtrack of the workday on blast no matter how noisy things get. If you use Milwaukee cordless power tools and need a powerful, efficient job site radio, definitely check out the Milwaukee Electric Tool 2792.
- Compact design with a weather-sealed internal storage space
- Internal roll cage, steel handlebars, and ruggedized construction make this one tough job site radio
- Powerful 40-watt audio full range amp and speakers combo
- Internal compartment typically only holds smaller smartphones
- Recharging battery packs off AC power can be a slow process
- Amplifier and speakers could use a bit more “oomph” in terms of wattage and volume
3. Milwaukee 2890-20 18V Dual Chemistry M18
For those looking to kick things up a notch, Milwaukee Electric Tool also makes the 2890-20 18V Dual Chemistry M18 Jobsite Radio. With larger tweeter/subwoofer combo speakers and extra wattage, 2890 definitely gives you more bang for your buck. Other additions to the design have added significant convenience and portability to the design, too.
For example, the exterior case has been toughened up with high-impact resistant end caps on the sides. The internal roll cage continues to provide additional drop protection, and the top and bottom have been redesigned to make the 2890 stackable. That means you can put it on top of your toolbox or truck bed and not have to worry about it rolling or falling off easily. This stackable design also means it can be packed up in tool boxes or bags with other devices and tools all around it.
Best of all, it recharges up to two Milwaukee Tool M18 battery packs simultaneously and provides a waterproof compartment with a 2.1-amp USB charging port for your smartphone. If you are considering getting a Milwaukee Jobsite radio anyway, this is definitely a step up from most of the radios in their product line.
- Redesigned impact-resistant end caps
- Dual speaker design
- Smartphone charging port and M18 battery pack charging support.
- Recharging M18 battery packs drains the main power pack rapidly
- No exterior bars/handles for additional drop/impact damage
- More powerful than its predecessors, but still lacks the more powerful “boom” many contractors are looking for
4. DEWALT DCR015 12V/20V MAX Charger Radio
Ready to take your job site radio to the next level? Use DEWALT Power Tools? The DEWALT DCR015 Jobsite Radio provides plenty of power for your tunes during the workday and recharges your 12V or 20V battery packs, too. This ruggedized combination job site stereo and power station gives you everything you need in terms of power and takes no prisoners when it comes to durability.
Heavy-duty plastic handles act as a roll cage around the entire unit, while an internal roll cage protects the electronics inside from damage due to drops or sudden impacts that are not uncommon around a construction site. It also features a waterproof smartphone charging compartment with up to 2.1 amps via USB port, and when plugged into AC it can quick-charge up to two DEWALT power tool battery packs for both 12V and 20V. When you don’t have an outlet nearby, this unit can be powered by those same battery packs for hours on end.
Additionally, thanks to onboard USB ports, Bluetooth connectivity, and audio AUX-IN ports, you can play your music collection, podcasts or playlists all day if listening to terrestrial radio isn’t your thing. Top that off with a Class D amplifier and subwoofer/tweeter combo speakers, and you’ve got the ideal audio machine to make the hours fly by on the job site. Altogether, the DEWALT DCR015 is an outstanding value, and it definitely delivers that extra “bang” for your buck in terms of features and versatility.
- Ruggedized interior and exterior for superior durability
- Weather-sealed internal compartment for mobile devices to keep them out of bad weather
- Powered by DEWALT battery packs if AC power isn’t available
- No casters and extended handle for easier mobility
- Cannot recharge battery packs unless connected to AC power
- Battery packs not included
5. Sangean TB-100 (Toughbox) Rechargeable Radio
Sometimes your priority for your job site radio isn’t about blasting out at high volume or charging batteries. These are nice to have, but not everyone needs it. For those who like to keep it simple, Sangean makes the TB-100 Toughbox. This ruggedized and highly durable radio is built like a tank and pushes out the massive sound for such a small unit.
Additionally, TB-100 is compatible with rechargeable C-cell batteries, making it ideal for use where there isn’t AC power available. When you do have a plug handy, it uses a standard AC plug without the need for a bulky adapter. Furthermore, it’s 5.25-inch full range speaker outputs audio from an AUX-IN port and AM/FM radio, so you can play tunes or podcasts from your mobile device or tune in to the local terrestrial radio stations according to your taste.
Best of all, this best jobsite radio is both small and lightweight, making it ideal for portability in your toolbox or work vehicle. Add to that a roll cage to absorb drop damage, and you have pretty much the perfect job site radio for those whose needs are simple. Give the Sangean TB-100 a once-over while you’re shopping around.
- Half the weight of most job site radios
- Compatible with AC power, alkaline batteries, and rechargeable batteries for portable power
- Integrated roll cage protects the unit from drop and impact damage
- Less powerful than comparable models in its price range
- No weather-sealed compartment for mobile devices
- No Bluetooth wireless connectivity