As autumn rolls around each year, piles of dead leaves can be a major nuisance for homeowners. Not only do they look messy and ruin the curb appeal of your home, but dead leaves can decompose and cause foul odors. They also destroy plant life, increase the likelihood of your lawn developing snow mold – they can also cause allergic reactions!
While you can clean your lawn the traditional way with a handheld rake and a little bit of elbow grease, it’s a lot easier to use a leaf blower and mulcher. This tool will allow you to convert dead leaves into compost, providing you with organic fertilizer with minimal effort. You’ll have a gorgeous looking lawn that is also healthy and well-nourished.
What’s even better? You can use these tools year-round, so when you find yourself with some leftover leaves or sticks that found their way onto the lawn after the winter months, you can get rid of them then, too. Here is our list of the ten best leaf mulchers you can find.
Table of Contents
- 10 Best Leaf Mulchers – Comparison
- The 10 Best Leaf Mulchers to Tidy Up Your Lawn
- 1. WORX WG430 Foldable Bladeless Electric
- 2. Toro 51621 UltraPlus Leaf Blower Vacuum
- 3. Black + Decker BV6000 High Performance
- 4. Patriot Products CSV-3100B 10 HP Briggs
- 5. Toro 51619 Ultra Electric Blower Vac
- 6. Earthquake Tazz K33 Chipper Shredder
- 7. Patriot Products CSV-2515 14 Amp Electric
- 8. Sun Joe CJ602E 15-Amp Electric Wood
- 9. Flowtron LE-900 The Ultimate Mulcher
- 10. Sun Joe SDJ616 13-Amp 16:1 Reduction
- Is a Leaf Mulcher a Good Choice for You?
10 Best Leaf Mulchers – Comparison
|WORX WG430 Foldable|
|Toro 51621 UltraPlus Leaf|
|Black + Decker BV6000 High|
The 10 Best Leaf Mulchers to Tidy Up Your Lawn
Gardening can be challenging enough as the weather cools in the fall. Why make it more complicated by forcing yourself to work around the fallen leaves? Instead, invest in one of these top 10 leaf mulchers.
1. WORX WG430 Foldable Bladeless Electric
Ask just about any homeowner who has had some experience with electric leaf mulchers, and you’ll hear the same response -the WORX WG430 Foldable Bladeless Electric Leaf Mulcher was one of the best around. This product is a compact shredder and mulcher that also comes at an affordable price.
An excellent pick for a homeowner seeking a modest tool that will get the job done every time, this mulcher is equipped with a powerful 13-amp motor. It can process 53 gallons of leaves every minute, and it is also designed in a simple fashion so that it takes up minimal storage space. This unit is tool-free, meaning you won’t need to purchase any extra equipment or go to great lengths to assemble this mulcher.
It works in a relatively straightforward fashion -the leaves are collected below the mulcher in a standard leaf bag. It has 24 state-of-the-art cutting lines that give you a clean, swift cut each time. The mulcher has an 11:1 mulching ratio, meaning it will turn eleven bags of leaves into one bag. This may not be the best ratio you may find but also is plenty enough to get the job done in an expedient fashion. The motor moves the cutting lines at a speed of 8,500 RPM, which is one of the fastest tempos you will see in a leaf mulcher.
This mulcher comes in vibrant red color and is easy to store, assemble, and disassemble.
While you cannot use this mulcher with branches, you can use it on either wet or dry leaves. You will need to separate them out, however, as you will not be able to mulch a mixed bag all at once.
- Cutting lines move at a fast speed of 8,500 RPM
- 13-amp electric motor helps you mulch 53 gallons of leaves per minute
- Tool-free design makes it easy to put together and tear down
- Compact design for easy storage
- 11:1 mulching ratio is not as high as other leaf mulchers
- Cannot be used on branches or thick woody debris
2. Toro 51621 UltraPlus Leaf Blower Vacuum
If you are in the market for a handheld leaf mulcher, the Toro 51621 UltraPlus Leaf Blower Vacuum with Metal Impeller is the product for you. This leaf mulcher is also a leaf blower, allowing you more value for the dollar. While it is one of the best-performing leaf blowers on the market, it also shines when it comes to mulching the leaves on your yard.
This leaf mulcher is powered by a 12-amp motor, offering superior power and speed without becoming bogged down by the task. It is equipped with variable speed control, making it versatile in all settings – and also easier for you to operate.
A specific reduction ratio is not listed on the manufacturers’ website, but reviewers claim that it can reduce up to 97 percent of leaves, either wet or dry, to ½” in size. It does this all on the first pass, which is an impressive claim as well. It has a powerful 410 CFM suction force, meaning you will need to apply a little force to get all the leaves in on the first try.
This leaf vacuum has metal impellers that are guaranteed to get the job done. It has a powerful suction capacity and a long nozzle, which will enable you to scoop up all the leaves without having to bend over. It is comfortable and easy to use and is a great tool for most lightweight mulching jobs.
- Offers maximum usability as a leaf blower and mulcher all-in-one tool
- Metal impellers offer durability and resilience
- Variable speed control and powerful suction capacity
- Comes with a bottom bag zipper to quickly remove and empty storage bag
- Smaller capacity for mulching leaves
- The lightweight device is not equipped for heavy yard clean-up (such as larger branches)
3. Black + Decker BV6000 High Performance
Black & Decker is the name to know when it comes to outdoor gear. With this brand comes a solid reputation, meaning you will know exactly what you are getting when you purchase one of these handy tools. The BV6000 High-Performance Blower/Vac/Mulcher offers users versatility and functionality in clearing their lawns.
This leaf mulcher is a leaf blower, vacuum, and mulcher all in one. It is equipped with a powerful12 amp electric motor that can clear your lawn of leaves and twigs in no time. If you live in a suburban or urban area, this is the mulcher to consider, as it operates silently and can be used in confined quarters without raising a ruckus.
While a 12 amp motor may not be powerful enough to get heavy-duty jobs done, it has plenty of power to take care of most tasks. It only weighs about eight pounds, which makes it easier to carry and use on a daily basis. Also easier to store as it is compact and tidy. It also has ergonomic handles so that it is easier to carry.
You can use this leaf mulcher on leaves, grass cuttings, pine needles, twigs, and most other small garden waste. Although it won’t shred branches, it can reduce about sixteen bags of waste into a single bag, offering one of the best reduction ratios of all products. It comes with a reusable collection bag which makes it easy to store your compost and cut back on your mess and environmental impact.
- Comes with a collection bag to easily store mulched leaves
- Lightweight and compact design makes it easy to operate
- 16:1 leaf reduction rate is one of the best you will find
- Operates at a high 250 mph speed to get rid of your leaves quickly
- Can’t be used on large branches or heavier debris
- 12 amp motor may not be enough for heavy-duty tasks
4. Patriot Products CSV-3100B 10 HP Briggs
Briggs & Stratton is another well-known name by homeowners and landscapers alike, offering great notoriety in the lawn care industry. The Patriot Products CSV-3100B 10 HP Gas-Powered Wood Chipper/Leaf Shredder may offer more power than you need for the job, but you’ll always be grateful for this product’s superior power and performance.
This is one of the most impressive leaf mulchers on the market, serving as an effective multi-purpose tool for even the largest of lawn cleanup tasks. It is equipped with a powerful 10 HP Briggs engine, helping you tackle large piles of leaves and woody debris. It is fuel-efficient and powerful while also creating minimal noise.
A low-maintenance tool, this device is also portable. It is built on wheels, meaning you can transport it easily back and forth between tasks. This unit has a swinging Y-hammer system that makes it easy to shred even large plant matter quickly. This can mulch and shred leaves and even process larger branches into fine chips. It can process branches that are up to three inches in diameter, an impressive figure that is rare to find in most leaf mulchers.
- Easy to maintain
- Can process branches up to three inches in diameter
- Low maintenance and fuel-efficient
- Operates quietly so it can be used in urban settings
- The large and heavy product that may offer more power than you actually need
5. Toro 51619 Ultra Electric Blower Vac
Looking for another low-maintenance handheld leaf mulcher? Look no further than the Toro 51619 Ultra Electric Blower Vac. This product, manufactured by lawn care giant Toro, allows homeowners the versatility of both blower and vacuum functions along with the ability to shred leaves and process them down into included collection bags.
This product is a bit more on the expensive side, but with 250 mph of blowing and vacuuming power, it is well worth the price. It can reduce about 88 percent of all garden waste into less than half an inch in diameter. It comes with a reusable bag, making it a great choice for people who want to compost their shredded leaves.
The Toro 51619 comes with a metal impeller that is engineered to improve your mulching and vacuuming ability. It has a variable speed to allow you to vacuum and blow with ease, and the reusable collection bag has a bottom zipper so that you can empty it without having to go through the hassle of detaching the bag from the mulcher each time.
This mulcher comes with an ergonomic handle that can serve double-duty as a storage hook. However, this compact product is also narrow and can easily be stored on a shelf. It also comes with a hook for storing the power cord, making this one of the better options for homeowners looking to save space and improve their organizational abilities.
This blower-vac is not only convenient, but it is also highly effective at shredding leaves. It’s not the best product if you’re looking to shred large branches, but it works well on smaller twigs and even acorns that might come into your path. You can purchase replacement bags or attach your own bags. This device is easy to carry, easy to store, and easy to operate – what’s not to love?
- Offers three functions in one device
- Has variable speeds that you can adjust to suit any task
- Easy to store with a storage hook and a flat, compact design
- Cannot process large branches or sticks
6. Earthquake Tazz K33 Chipper Shredder
This unique heavy-duty leaf mulcher also serves as a wood chipper. If you are looking to clear your lawn of some heavy woody debris in addition to leaves, then the Earthquake Tazz K33 Chipper Shredder is the product you’ve got to put at the top of your list.
This all-in-one product is a great choice for managing garden taste. While it is on the pricier side, it is made out of durable components that are likely to last for many years – if not a lifetime. It comes with a powerful 212cc engine that can slice through branches that are as large as three inches in diameter. Of course, it can also tackle large bundles of leaves, too.
This chipper shredder comes with oversized 11-inch heels, meaning you can wheel it just about anywhere on your lawn it needs to go. It’s easy to transport and easy to store. Although it cannot be disassembled, it only is about 51 inches tall so it can be stored easily in a corner of the garage. It comes with a reusable collection bag that has a bottom zipper. You can empty this bag without having to detach it from the chipper-shredder.
- Equipped with a reusable collection bag that does not have to be detached to be emptied
- Comes with a 5-year warranty
- Powerful model that can tackle the largest of cleanup tasks
- Can be noisy, so it’s not ideal for using in crowded areas
- Large product that may be too big for some jobs
7. Patriot Products CSV-2515 14 Amp Electric
If you’re looking for a handy machine that will remove any leaves in its path, then the Patriot Products CSV-2515 14 Amp Electric Wood Chipper/Leaf Shredder is the one to consider. This product functions as a wood chipper and leaf shredder, meaning you can get rid of leaves and compact wood waste to the size f a coin in mere seconds.
This product does not come with a waste bag, but it does have a pipe that discharges from the side of the machine instead of the bottom, so you can easily direct waste exactly where you need it to go. You can attach a bag if you so choose.
It comes with a powerful 14-amp electric motor, which is quiet and can be operated without requiring the use of earplugs. Although it is somewhat heavier, weighing in at around 95 lbs, this product comes with wheels and a push handle so that it is easier to transport and store. It does not disable but is relatively compact when fully constructed.
- Excellent for heavy-duty shredding
- Produces minimal noise
- Comes with a powerful 14-amp electric motor
- Heavier model that can be difficult to store in crowded areas
8. Sun Joe CJ602E 15-Amp Electric Wood
Sun Joe is known for making high-quality lawn care products that are also environmentally friendly. This option is a great choice for taking care of leaf matter in an eco-friendly way, as it uses a motor that is powered by electricity instead of gas. It can process all kinds of lawn waste into mulch in just a few seconds, including leaves, grass, twigs, acorns, and even smaller branches.
This product comes with a powerful 15-amp electric motor. Despite the power behind this product, it operates nearly silently and causes minimal disruptions in the neighborhood. Interestingly, it also comes with a unique safety function that will disable the motor if the hopper has opened, which can prevent accidents in many cases.
You cannot disassemble this electric leaf mulcher, but it is incredibly lightweight. It also comes with six-inch wheels so that you can easily move it around your property. This unit has a slim design that makes it difficult for it to take up too much space. It can shred branches up to an inch and a half in diameter and can process 21 bags of garden waste into a single bag, making it one of the most efficient leaf mulchers you will find.
- Composts waste down quickly and efficiently
- Environmentally friendly
- Quiet operation
- Lightweight and easy to store
- May require a gas motor if you are shredding branches larger than 1.5” in diameter
9. Flowtron LE-900 The Ultimate Mulcher
This leaf mulcher comes with a unique metal blade that processes leaves in no time. You can adjust the coarseness of the device to change the thickness of your leaves, which is a great feature if you are composting or recycling. You can even place this compact unit directly over small compost bins, making it ultra-easy for you to dispose of lawn waste.
This compact product can be disassembled and comes with 36 cutting lines. You can feed large handfuls of leaves at a time, reducing 11 bags of leaves into a single bag in no time. It is easy to maintain and can be equipped with regular strimmer lines when the included cutting lines run out.
- Easy to maintain and transport
- Compact design that allows it to be placed directly over compost bins
- Coarseness of leaves can be hanged for maximum adaptability
- Not ideal for processing larger woody matter like large branches
10. Sun Joe SDJ616 13-Amp 16:1 Reduction
The most common word used to describe this leaf mulcher? Cute. Also a functional and affordable choice, the Sun Joe SDJ616 13-Amp 16:1 Reduction Electric Leaf Mulcher/Shredder is one of the most environmentally friendly products you will find.
This compact unit is attractive, making it a great choice for homeowners who value appearance just as much as they value functionality. It can handle large amounts of yard waste, processing 16 bags of leaves into a single bag in just a few minutes.
This leaf mulcher operates at a high rate of speed, utilizing a powerful (yet quiet) motor that will shrink your debris quickly for easy disposal or composting. It can process up to 12 gallons per minute and works at an 8000 RPM speed. It even comes with an adjustable control dial so that you can choose between processing wet or dry waste.
- 16:1 reduction ratio
- Adjustable control dial to switch between wet or dry waste
- Comes with a dust-reducing motor to keep things cool and functioning well
- Cannot process large branches
Is a Leaf Mulcher a Good Choice for You?
If you’re sick of taking up unnecessary space with large bags of leaves every time you clean your lawn, it’s time to consider a leaf mulcher. A leaf mulcher, regardless of the type, model, or size you select, will help you reduce your lawn waste and will create organic mulch for your lawn or garden. Consider one of these ten best leaf mulchers today.