10 Best Tool Boxes – Portable Tool Box with Drawers & Wheels for You
Whether you’re a professional or a hobbyist, having all of the right tools is imperative. Thus, having the best toolbox is going to make your life a lot easier. With that in mind, we wanted to take a look at some of the top tool box models on the market that will ensure you can always have the right pieces for your next job.
Table of Contents
- Top 10 Best Tool Boxes – Comparisons
- Top 10 Best Tool Boxes – Reviews
- 1. DEWALT DWST08204 Tough System Case
- 2. Best Choice Products Portable Top Chest
- 3. DEWALT DWST17806 TSTAK VI Deep Box
- 4. Keter New Masterloader Plastic Portable
- 5. Stanley STST18613 3-in-1 Rolling WorkShop
- 6. Stanley 037025H 50 Gallon Mobile Chest
- 7. BOSTITCH BTST19802 Rolling Tool Box
- 8. Excel TB133A-Red 21-Inch Portable Steel
- 9. Trinity 3-in-1 Stainless Steel Suitcase Toolbox
- 10. Stalwart Oversized Portable Tool Chest-3
- Final Verdict
Top 10 Best Tool Boxes – Comparisons
|Picture||Product Name||Product Dimensions||Primary Material||Price|
|DEWALT DWST08204 Tough System||21.3 x 12.6 x 15.8 inches||Plastic||Check Latest Price|
|Best Choice Products Portable||23.5 x 13 x 42.5 inches||Steel||Check Latest Price|
|DEWALT DWST17806 TSTAK||17.3 x 11.9 x 13 inches||Heavy-duty metal||Check Latest Price|
|Keter New Masterloader Plastic||24.2 x 14.9 x 16.3 inches||Plastic||Check Latest Price|
|Stanley STST18613 3-in-1 Rolling||18.1 x 11.6 x 24.3 inches||Metal||Check Latest Price|
|Stanley 037025H 50 Gallon||18.9 x 20.5 x 34.2 inches||Steel||Check Latest Price|
|BOSTITCH BTST19802 Rolling||13.6 x 30.6 x 19.2 inches||Plastic||Check Latest Price|
|Excel TB133A-Red 21-Inch||–||Metal||Check Latest Price|
|Trinity 3-in-1 Stainless Steel||12.5 x 21.5 x 33.2 inches||Stainless steel||Check Latest Price|
|Stalwart Oversized Portable||21 x 30 x 13 inches||Plastic||Check Latest Price|
Top 10 Best Tool Boxes – Reviews
1. DEWALT DWST08204 Tough System Case
If you’re serious about having an assortment of the best tools in your garage or workspace, then chances are that you already have many DeWalt-brand items. This company makes some of the best high-quality equipment, so it makes sense that you would store all of your tools in a DeWalt case as well.
This particular model is the extra-large size, so it has plenty of room for everything you may need on your next job. Not only that, but it has a foam interior so that everything stays well protected at all times, even during transit. 4mm foam is more than enough to withstand impacts and ensure that your case stays in one piece at all times. There is also a side panel where you can store your hand tools, like screwdrivers and hammers.
Overall, this case is built for professional job sites where you may need more than one at a time. To make transportation even more manageable, these boxes are stackable. They also come with a locking mechanism so that you don’t have to worry about the boxes tumbling off of each other. This case can hold up to 110 pounds.
For the most part, you’ll keep your toolbox in a secure, dry area. However, you can feel free to bring this case with you to outdoor job sites, thanks to the fact that it’s both water and rust resistant. Environmental factors won’t break the box down or get your tools wet, so you can take it with confidence wherever you need it to go.
- 4mm thick foam box
- Side handles for easier carrying when full
- Stacking design for convenience
- Two rust-resistant locking hatches
- Water seal protects contents from environmental damage
- An extra large case for holding even more tools
- Inner vertical storage for hand tools
- Holds up to 110 pounds
- Locking mechanisms for stacking are not super durable
- Not compatible with other DeWalt stacking boxes (i.e., TSTAK)
2. Best Choice Products Portable Top Chest
The great thing about most toolboxes is that they can go almost anywhere you do. However, if you already know that you just need a roaming box to stay in your garage, then you probably want something a bit larger and more convenient, like this model from Best Choice Products.
Although this storage chest can be utilized and deployed almost anywhere, it’s mostly designed for garages and auto shops. The reason for this is that it comes with 10 different storage compartments. Not only that, but it also comes with rugged casters on the bottom, allowing you to roll it from one end of the garage to the other.
If you have a variety of tools and equipment, then you’ll love the fact that this chest has so much to offer. Not only that, but the fact that you can separate the top portion and take it wherever you need to go makes this box even more useful. On top of that, the top section locks so that you get some extra security as well.
Overall, if you have a garage and you need a durable and versatile storage chest, this model is going to provide a lot of options for you. It’s easy to move around, thanks to the casters and the side handles, and it has more than enough capacity to hold all of your tools. Each drawer can carry up to 30 pounds, making it ideal for any shop, both for hobbyists and professionals alike.
- Durable steel construction
- 10 drawers available
- Wheels for easier movement
- Locking mechanism for security
- Side handles for easier transportation
- The top portion can be removed for convenience
- Drawers and trays lined with absorbent foam
- Can hold up to 295 pounds
- Each drawer can carry up to 30 pounds
- In rare cases, the storage box may arrive damaged
- Steel is not as dent resistant as other models
3. DEWALT DWST17806 TSTAK VI Deep Box
Although we’ve already seen what DeWalt can offer when it comes to tool boxes, this model is more of the “consumer-grade” version. If you’re a hobbyist or you’re just looking for something reliable in your home garage or workshop, then this toolbox should suffice. The unit from above is meant for professional job sites, but this is not.
Although this toolbox isn’t professional-grade, that doesn’t mean it’s bad. Instead, it’s built to hold less weight and fewer tools. Rather than supporting up to 110 pounds, it can only carry about 44. The latches and overall construction use thinner plastic, which makes it much more lightweight for moving from one spot to another.
One element that we like about this toolbox is that it comes with an interior compartment to hold all of your most-used tools. You can pull the tray out and get access to the bottom of the box, or you can forgo it all together to get more storage space inside.
As with the Tough System, these cases are stackable. Not only does the design allow cases to fit together, but they come with side latches so that you can lock them in place as needed. Thus, if you have multiple TSTAK boxes, you can keep them in storage without worrying about your stack toppling over. That being said, these cases are not compatible with Tough System, so be aware of that.
- Rugged design can withstand most environmental damage
- Locking mechanisms on the side for stacking
- Interior tray for added storage and convenience
- Can hold up to 44 pounds while carrying it
- Water-resistant design
- Rust-resistant handles and latches
- Lightweight and portable model
- In rare cases, the plastic handles can break off
- Not meant for industrial or professional-grade environments
4. Keter New Masterloader Plastic Portable
When it comes to tool boxes, you will either want something that has a bunch of sections for organizing your stuff, or you’ll prefer a box that has more open storage so that you can decide how to place everything inside.
This rolling tool box from Keter is one of the previous designs. It’s perfect for hobbyists and weekend warriors who want to be able to organize everything from tools to nails and screws. This box is built relatively sturdy, but it’s not a professional-grade version, so keep that in mind.
When talking about storage and compartmentalization, this box has a lot to offer. Not only does it have two sides that fold out for easy access, but one of them has molded sections on the surface so that you can access everything without having to pull it open. On top of that, there is a locking mechanism in the middle so that you can keep the box’s contents secure.
To move this toolbox around, it comes with rugged rubber wheels and an extendable handle. These elements allow you to take it wherever you go without having to worry about the weight. Also, because the handle pushes inside, storage is even easier because it takes up less space than you might think.
Overall, this box is mostly well built, but the organizers have plastic hinges, so it won’t hold up to a ton of abuse. Take care of this unit, and it will serve you well.
- Built-in interior compartments
- Internal shelves fold out for easy access
- Rugged plastic design
- Sturdy wheels for easier transportation
- Multiple color options available
- Central auto locking mechanism keeps the sides together
- One side has embedded tool sections for convenience
- Some components are not as durable as others
- The auto locking mechanism may stop working over time
5. Stanley STST18613 3-in-1 Rolling WorkShop
As with other high-quality brands like DeWalt, chances are that you may have some Stanley tools in your workshop already. Thus, if you’re currently relying on this brand to help you make the most out of each project, then why not utilize a toolbox from the company as well?
In this case, we have a three-piece box that gives you much more flexibility regarding how you store all of your equipment. The bottom piece is an open-ended bin; the middle section is a closing organizer for all of your small tools and parts. Finally, the top section is a standard toolbox with a locking lid.
What makes this three-piece set so great is that you can use each piece individually or as a collection. Not only are each of them useful on their own, but they are well built and enable you to bring your tools almost anywhere, both thanks to the rugged design and the inclusion of large rubber wheels to get around.
Overall, if you’re planning on using each section, then this is an excellent kit. Unfortunately, they all work best as a collection, meaning that you may or may not appreciate any benefits of using each piece individually. For example, the bottom bin doesn’t come with a lid (it uses the organizer for that), so if you use it by itself, it may not be as versatile as you would expect at first.
- Three sections for easy organization
- Rolling tool box for quick movement between areas
- Boxes lock into each other for security
- Rugged plastic construction
- Removable interior tray
- Telescopic handle for easy grabbing
- Lockable boxes for additional security
- Interior tray doesn’t lock into place, so it can jostle around during transit
- No lid for the bottom box (must use organizer)
6. Stanley 037025H 50 Gallon Mobile Chest
As we’ve already seen, Stanley not only makes some of the best tools on the market but some of the best tool boxes as well. While the three-in-one model above is perfect for job sites that need a bit of versatility, this Mobile Chest is designed to carry a wide selection of tools and equipment, particularly anything bulky and heavy.
With a 50-gallon capacity on the inside, you can put almost anything in this tool chest. It does come with an interior tool tray for added convenience, but the primary selling point of this box is the fact that it’s super spacious inside. Thus, no matter what you’re trying to keep in there, chances are good that it will fit.
As you can imagine, when this box gets full it can be quite heavy, so it comes with two rubber-coated wheels and an extendable handle. These elements ensure that you can move the box around from point A to point B without any problems. Although we do wish that the tires were made entirely of rubber, they can hold up to most abuse without breaking down on you.
Other features of this toolbox include a flat surface with grooves for a saw, as well as a locking mechanism on the lid so that you can keep the contents safe whenever necessary.
- Massive 50-gallon design
- Extra rugged construction
- Portable interior tray for additional organization
- Small, heavy-duty wheels for moving around
- Extendable handle for easier transportation
- The lid can be used as a work surface
- Locking mechanism for extra security
- Wheels are not as durable as other models
- The toolbox is not whether or waterproof
7. BOSTITCH BTST19802 Rolling Tool Box
As with Stanley or DeWalt, this rolling tool box is made by a company that’s already pretty well known for producing high-quality tools. This particular unit is even more useful, thanks to its compartmentalized design and rugged construction.
This box is separated into three distinct parts. The top section can be removed and used as a standard tool case. It’s lightweight enough to carry to most job sites, and it locks into place so that you can move the whole thing with ease.
The bottom section of this tool chest has both a drawer and an oversized compartment. Thus, no matter what kinds of tools or equipment you’re trying to move around, it’s so much easier to do so with this box. It also comes with large, rubber wheels and a telescoping handle.
Overall, if you’re looking for a portable chest that can withstand most job sites and provide extra versatility, this model from Bostitch is going to be an excellent choice.
- Rugged construction
- Top box can be separated
- Can hold up to 70 pounds
- Large rubber wheels for transportation
- Drawer pulls out on the bottom piece
- Locking mechanism for added security
- In rare cases, the top handle can snap off relatively easily
- Wheels may not be as durable as other models
Also Read: 10 Best Tool Chests & Tool Boxes
8. Excel TB133A-Red 21-Inch Portable Steel
When it comes to managing your tools and equipment, it can sometimes be best to have a chest of drawers instead of a large box without any organization inside. Thus, this model from Excel may be a slightly better choice, particularly if you’re trying to keep sets of tools organized.
Overall, this toolbox is decent but not as good as some of the other ones we’ve seen. The metal construction is pretty good, but since the metal is pretty thin, it can dent relatively easily. That being said, it will hold up better than some of the plastic cases we’ve seen so far.
This chest has a relatively large top section, as well as three drawers for organizing your tools. Each drawer is padded so that you don’t have to worry about scuffing your materials and ruining everything in the process.
One thing we don’t like about this toolbox is that you have to open the top section to use the drawers, so keep that in mind. Nonetheless, if you’re looking for something a bit more versatile than a standard box, this is a pretty good choice overall.
- Rugged metal design
- Three pull-out drawers
- Large top section
- Padded drawers for tool safety
- No handle for carrying
- Drawers have limited storage space
9. Trinity 3-in-1 Stainless Steel Suitcase Toolbox
When picking out the best portable tool boxes, we think that three-in-one models like this one from Trinity are typically better than single-use chests. We like these versions because they offer far more versatility. However, because they are broken into multiple pieces, they may not be as rugged or as reliable as tool boxes that are a single portion.
What we like about this particular unit is that each section can be used together or individually. The top part works like a standard toolbox, so feel free to bring it with you on the job site or keep the whole thing together.
The middle section has two drawers for added convenience and organization. Finally, the bottom piece offers expanded storage options, particularly if you use it by itself. It doesn’t have a lid (which may be a downside for some users), so you can put any oversized tools or equipment in there.
Overall, if you want something lightweight, maneuverable, and highly versatile, this three-in-one toolbox is an excellent choice.
- Three distinct compartments
- Middlebox has two slide-out drawers
- Bottom compartment has extra large storage
- Latching and locking mechanisms for safety
- Large rubber-coated wheels
- Top box comes with an interior tray
- Durable steel construction
- Bottom section doesn’t have a cover or lid
- The box is made of lightweight plastic with a thin sheet of metal coating
10. Stalwart Oversized Portable Tool Chest-3
Our final portable toolbox is another three-in-one design. This unit functions like the others that we’ve seen, meaning that you can separate each piece and use them either cohesively or individually.
One thing that separates this multipurpose toolbox from others like it is that the bottom section has its own lid. Usually, you have to use the other boxes to keep the contents covered, but that’s not the case here. Also, the bottom part has an extra large drawer, meaning that it’s much easier to access whatever may be inside.
Overall, this three-in-one toolbox is one of the better offerings in its class, thanks to the rugged design and the convenience of each section. While we would prefer something a bit more weatherproof, this box will do just fine on most job sites.
- Rugged plastic construction
- Each part can be separated
- Bottom section has an opening drawer
- Locking latches on the side for stability
- Large rubber-coated wheels
- Angled bottom drawer limits storage space
- Not water resistant or watertight design
We’ve seen a lot of high-quality tool boxes on this list, which means that it’s pretty hard to decide on just one. So, with that in mind, we want to break down our top picks based on two different categories. First, we’ll look at portable tool boxes that are meant to be used as a single piece. Next, we’ll show you our top choice for a multi-purpose box that has multiple components inside.
Best Single-Use Box: We think that the DeWalt Tough System is probably the best of the best for this category. While it doesn’t have wheels to make it easier to move around, it is spacious on the inside, resistant to the weather, and can be stacked for ideal storage. This box is almost the gold standard.
Best Multi-Component Box: we like these three-in-one models that come with multiple boxes to allow for greater versatility. The best one of these units has to be the Bostitch Rolling Tool Box. We like that each component can be used individually or together, as well as the rugged construction of the whole thing.
- Best Tool Chest Under 1000 For Home & Garage – Models Compared
- 10 Best Cordless Ratchet Reviews – Expert Opinion
- 10 Best Corded Drills – for Home & Jobsite Use